Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1986 Champion 730A fluid questions

Chillin' Champion ยท 2022-11-06 10:44

Hello there. I've recently picked up a series 2 730A and have some general fluid questions. I haven't been able to locate the serial # yet as I can't seem to find it in the cab anywhere. Would it be stamped somewhere on the frame? It has the 8.3 Cummins and the 8400 trans. Anyways, I'm not sure what fluids to put into it. It states "motor oil" on the sticker for the transmission, I think 10W seems to be the viscosity for our climate here in BC, but I don't want to confuse engine oil with motor oil. Any suggestions? Also, what would be the recommendation for the Cummins engine? 10W/30 diesel oil? or 15W40? or something else? Sorry if this is too basic, I'm just not totally sure how specific this thing will need. Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies5
  1. #1DB22022-11-06 11:03

    Hi Tyler. Serial number should be on the mainframe just ahead of the cab on the RH side. We run the Volvo red fluid in the transmissions and 15W-40 in the engines.

  2. #2Welder Dave2022-11-06 14:47

    I have an 86 730A. The lubrication chart on the left side of the frame infront of the cab will say to use Dexron II in the transmission but it was upgraded to use 10W motor oil. If you're in a warmer climate you can use 30W so it probably depends where you are in BC. I used an oil meeting Cat TO4 specs. to top mine off. Apparently the trans. can slip in heavy pushing using the Dexron fluid.

  3. #3Silveroddo2022-11-09 18:09

    Cat TDTO 10w was what I ended up going with, its kind of an oddball fluid spec these days and the Cat was the most readily available to me and the price wasn't terrible.

  4. #4Chillin' Champion2022-11-09 22:17

    Thanks DB2. I'll have a look there. Is it stamped? or a plate? And thanks welder Dave. I'm currently trying to find mobil trans HD 10W in my area. or a suitable alternative. I wonder if I can put in a pail of 10W, and then finish with a 30W to sort of meet in the middle. We get some temp fluctuations here throughout the year. And thanks for your suggestion Silveroddo.

  5. #5Welder Dave2022-11-09 22:57

    I got oil from AFD petroleum meeting Cat T04. I topped off with 30W because I also needed 30W for the Cat track loader. I won't be doing much when it's below -10C. Canadian Tire sometimes has Petro Canada 10W/30W meeting Cat TO4 for $90 or $100 a pail. I think I paid $110 or maybe $100 at AFD.