Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1986 International 1900 Dumptruck

NJBricklayer ยท 2006-07-22 00:40

Hey guys. I've been looking on this site for the past 7 months and I've gained a wealth of information by reading your posts. Anyway, I've been looking for a single axle Dump, preferably mid 90's International 4900, DT466, born as a Dump. Recently, some friends told me about a 1986 International 1900, DT 466, single axle dump. I took a look at the truck, which the sellor has refurbished and the truck and Dump body are in Pristine condition. Truck is a 5 speed with 2 speed rear. My mechanic is checking it out for me this weekend. I'm a mason contractor and in the past I've over loaded my 96 f350 powerstroke diesal Dump too many times with concrete,dirt, etc... The truck has 175,000 miles, and the asking price is 12K even though I was told that he'll take 11K. My Mechanic thinks that it's a little overpriced but He hasn't seen the truck yet.(Extremely clean, looks almost new,no rust, new paint) My question : Is anyone familiar with the 1900, and does this sound like a fair price? I was perfectly willing to spend more than twice this amount for a newer truck, but if I don't have to..... Also, I'm not very Mechanically inclined so reliability, access to parts, are all important factors. Any input from you guys would be greatly apreciated.

Replies11
  1. #1nevrenufhp2006-07-22 11:29

    I just went thru truckpaper, and saw an 84 crew cab dump for $11k. It seems about right for the price if the condition is good enough. With those miles, you'll have lots of life left in it. They ride a little rough, & rattle here & there, but wont let you down. Do yourself a favor, and replace the drive belts, and fuel hoses at the injector pump. The only other thing would be the water pump, unless it's been changed already.

  2. #2PSDF3502006-07-22 12:09

    Good way to guage values is to take a look here www.truckpaper.com Might also find something else.

  3. #3Jeff D.2006-07-22 20:02

    If your mechanic says it's in good shape, I'd say it's worth it.:thumbsup It's not going to be the heaviest spec'd truck around, but it doesn't sound like you need that.The DT-466 is a good engine. They are "in frame" rebuildable(have wet sleeves), and dependable. If the truck is in good shape it should be just as dependable as anything out there. I've a 79' 1900, and I've bought many, many parts for it. Internantional hasn't said once yet that something wasn't available, which even suprised me. Apparently they do have a good parts network. All body sheet metal is still available. The weakest link will probobly be the 5 speed tranny. Mine isn't as heavy built as in other trucks I've owned. The 1900 cab is easy to work on(dash, etc.), but not the best "laid out" cab I've driven. Not that anything is hard to reach in it, but I prefer a lower dash, and to have the cab sit higher on the frame. Not a big issues though. Good Luck shopping!!

  4. #4NJBricklayer2006-08-15 00:57

    Thanks Guys for the info regarding the 86 International Dump. I didn't jump on the deal right away, and luckily a better deal popped up. I was able to pick up a 1992 International 4900 DT 466 Dump truck for about the same amount. 7 speed O/D, 210 HP, 12k FA and 21,200 RA. Truck is a former state of Maryland Truck purchased by a Local Contractor 8 Months ago. He realized he didn't have much need for the truck and I was able to Jump on it Quick. I took my mechanic with me and he felt the truck was in great condition. Even the guy selling the 86 1900 saw the truck and feels I got a great deal. Truck has central Hydraulics which operated the plow(no plow came with it) and a rear salt spreader which I have no interest in using.(I Plow with my Bobcat and Mason dump). There is some surface rust on the Dump body, other than that the Truck is really clean. Truck also comes with a Stainless steel tool box and 100 gallon tank behind the cab(Takes up 1 ft) Now the drawbacks : 1) Dump body is 9 ft . I'm tempted to replace it, and remove the toolbox and tank, with a 10 ft body. Will I find much difference between a 9 ft body and a 10 ft Body? Seems to me I'm losing a yard. 2) Municipal yellow. Definitely have to Sandblast the dumpbody and repaint Truck. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly apreciated. I'll post pictures when I can.

  5. #5nevrenufhp2006-08-15 19:47

    You probably wont be able to use the full 10 feet due to weight. I know a guy that has a 92 IH with a 10' dump, and it easily gets past the GVW (33k)with sand, dirt, or gravel. That's without loading it all the way up the sides.

  6. #6dayexco2006-08-15 21:33

    last winter i picked up a 93 ln8000 ford tandem/ford diesel/allison auto/16' box, (city of rockford illinois surplus) with 72k miles on it for 9100 on ebay, great truck, just keep looking 11k for an 86 single axle seems mighty high to me

  7. #7Orchard Ex2006-08-15 22:39

    One potential problem with the 9' body is having to shovel off the tailgate (or cab shield!:cussing ) when leaving the pit/yard. Depends on your material supplier and what size loader they use. I have the same problem with the 10' though. You can always add taller sideboards to carry the full weight. If it was mine I don't think I'd hassle with changing out a body in good shape. A couple guys around here have similar trucks and kept the cab yellow and painted the body black. Not too bad a look. One said that the DOT guys see it coming and think it's still a state truck and don't wave them over.:thumbsup Enjoy the new truck! PS - pictures are always welcome!

  8. #8NJBricklayer2006-08-15 23:39

    Thanx for the insight Guys. Orchard Ex, I'm sure you've seen similar trucks, since this is a former State of Maryland Truck. Painting the Body Black and leaving the cab Yellow isn't a bad idea. A friend of mine suggested that I should find out if the Hydraulic lines previously used for the rear spreader can be used to operate a Hydraulic Jackhammer. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I checked with a couple of Truck body Shops and one Place, without seeing the Truck, felt that it was not a good Idea because the Pump was probably set up for a 9 ft body. I think that he's probably wrong because on the Build pritout I got from International, It shows "SE Frame 10.125x3.062x.312(110,000 PSI) which I'm assuming is for the dump body. Maybe it was shortened after for toolbox and fuel container? Maybe keeping the body 9 ft is not a bad idea. One friend tells me I should just find a 10 ft Dump Body in good shape, use his Komatsu Excavator (He thinks he can take the body off in 30 minutes) and drop a 10 Footer on. Gotta think about that one ! Thanx Guys

  9. #9Orchard Ex2006-08-16 18:32

    I think thats the size of the frame rails and the strength of the steel used in them. FWIW - I'm told that MD MVA has a good PM program for their trucks so barring driver abuse you should have a decent truck. The paint should even be good since most of the one's I see are parked under a shady tree most of the day...:wink2 (just kidding)

  10. #10Ford LT-90002006-08-17 00:26

    You run a 10' bed with lowersides I wouldn't want a 9' bed its too short. If the truck you have has a 9' box with a big gap between the bed and cab your not getting good front axle loading. The problem with single axle dumps is braking power you put too much weight on them you really have to be carefull not to overheat the brakes. You definatly need to use the gears and take it easy on the hills or what I call hills aka 10% grades. If the truck is on juice brakes I would avoid it good god Juice brakes should be banned from any truck larger than a F-550. When you get the truck have a mecanic check over the brakes if the truck has slightly worn drums replace them along with new brake shoes.

  11. #11the_kaptain2011-12-11 23:47

    Hi guys. I have an 86 S1900 with the 466 td 5 speed and 2 speed rear. It has 78k miles on it. I purchased it from fellow on ebay for 3500.00. It has an 18' dump bed on it that I put 3 foot sides on and full length tool boxes mounted on the frame under the dump. I ran it professionally with a tree service in Florida for 5 years hauling everything from full load of tree trunks to a full load of concrete break out with a Bobcat in tow and It has been an awesome machine! It seems that if you keep looking you should be able to find a better deal but just the same Im happy to learn that they are worth so much. Any tips on the best place to find after market accessories? I am working on repainting the cab and want to find the Chrome head light visors and chrome window shade visors for it? Good luck with your new truck Im sure you wont be dissapointed, they are awesome machines, I love mine.