Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1987 cat 953

Tmint · 2022-02-04 17:41

Hi everyone. I have been lurking this forum for a while now as I have been looking to buy a piece of equipment. Recently one popped up for sale fairly close to me. So im very interested in it but dont reallly know much about them or what to look for when I go look at it. Description says its a 1987 cat 953 with new sprockets,rails and rollers. Current owner claims engine was replaced by previous owner with around 1k hours on it now.Also says everything works as it should no problems besides lower bucket pins wore out. Just looking for advice on this machine. Seller is asking 27500. Thanks for any advice or information given. Edited to another picture.

Replies10
  1. #1DMiller2022-02-04 18:00

    If starts as it sits pretty easy and after allowing oils to warm 15 minutes will work well, ask owner if can draw oil samples(Get bottles from Cat) and if allowed have a Cat Undercarriage tech have a peek. Samples will tell a lot, cold start some more and a tech looking at whatever had been done UC wise is pretty well worth a few hundred to have examined. Idler is not rolled hard forward, not much slack needing compensation, Top roller does not appear new where segments look ok, but then why return damned near worn slick shoes to new SALT rails?? If can tolerate worn bucket pins, that is pretty expensive and shop type special tools to repair.

  2. #2Tmint2022-02-04 18:11

    Thanks for your reply DMiller. I will get ahold of my localish (1.5hr) cat dealer and see if they can come inspect it and pull oil samples if owner will allow that.

  3. #3DMiller2022-02-04 18:12

    He says No to those I would not hesitate to walk off.

  4. #4Cat9772022-02-04 19:21

    The pictures aren't great for looking at the undercarriage. You need to squat down and get closer. The sprocket doesn't look that new. I'm wary of a guy if he's not coming forth honestly right from the start. What else is he not telling you?

  5. #5CM19952022-02-04 20:02

    Is this machine for sale by a dealer or individual? DM is right on track. If the seller will not let you take oil samples - run not walk away from the machine.

  6. #6Tmint2022-02-04 22:23

    It is for sale by owner used on a farm. I agree if hes not up for oil samples and/or a cat mechanic to look it over Ill walk. Im going tomorrow to look at it and will get better pictures and feel the guy out. I will have to see about getting a cat guy out there next week.

  7. #7Tags2022-02-05 10:01

    If you haven’t dealt with a lot of heavy equipment, and this is your first venture into it, then you absolutely must get the cat mechanic or a very well vetted independent mechanic out there to look that machine over. The last thing you want to do is buy a machine like that and have the hydrostatic system fail or the engine fail, everything on heavy equipment is expensive to repair. Just curious also how many hours that machine is showing overall? Those machines will do a tremendous amount of work and I believe that model has little to no electronics on it which is a bonus.

  8. #8Tmint2022-02-06 23:00

    I do plan on trying to get a mechanic over there to look it over with me hopefully this week. I am not sure on the hours as it was not listed and I havnt asked. No electronics would be great to not deal with. Its been listed for sale for a few weeks now so price could be haggled down I would think.Thanks for the reply.

  9. #9Shimmy12022-02-06 23:36

    While it doesn't seem logical, a farm machine might work just fine with worn-out pads, especially a loader in most cases. I chose to reinstall my worn pads on an LGP because they cause a lot less disturbance than new pads, and if I end up wearing them down to where traction becomes an issue, I'll weld 1.5" grouser on and that will let them live out the rest of their days.

  10. #10greg580b2022-02-16 11:55

    Hey Tmint! Any update on your potential purchase? I bought a near identical 953 about a year ago. It needed a lot of engine work, bucket is shot, but has solid hydraulics and transmission - and was a steal at $13,000 ... and we know the seller so knew about the history of the machine. My two cents - as others have said, get the oils checked and if you can, have a trusted mechanic go over the hydraulics/transmission. If you can do engine work, it is a very simple machine to work on and engine parts are pretty easily available (I'm in Missouri too). While engine repairs can run a grand or two, that's nothing compared to hydro/transmission repairs. I've replaced turbo, exhaust, injectors, and a cracked head. My son and I have done all the work and I've probably got $3,500 in parts on it. Runs like crazy, starts in the coldest weather. Just a great machine that is very simple (engine wise as it is pre-computerized!). However, working on the hydro pumps/transmission is very difficult - and expensive. Undercarriage can get expensive fast too (but it is a bit easier to work on - if you have the equipment that can lift/move parts, etc). They are a great machine to have around - if they have solid hydraulic/transmission! BTW, 27500 seems top end price so I'd be sure it's really "all good" at that price.