Hi, I would appreciate trouble shooting ideas as to why my machine is stalling. Machine starts with no problem. When I operate the machine under load (which includes use of backhoe, use of loader, driving machine) for a period of time it stalls. It starts up again with no problem. It runs for a period of time under load then stalls again. The longer I use, the shorter the time between stalls. If I let it sit for about 15 minutes it runs for longer period of time then if I use immediately after it stalled. I assumed it was a fuel problem so I changed the fuel filter and removed/cleaned glass sediment bowl. This increased the operation time considerably before the machine stalled again. Next I removed and cleaned the check valve on the fuel pump. This did not stop the stalling. I would appreciate any ideas.
Remove the suction line at your sediment bowl and blow air back through it into the tank. It sounds like your flow is restricted.
Thanks. I will try that. If the problem is in the return suction line do you think I should drain the fuel tank and replace the fuel?
If the fuel isn't too old, then you can siphon the fuel out into a bucket, let it settle, and siphon it back into the tank, repeat. Even better, remove the fitting on the bottom of the tank if possible, drain the tank into a bucket, let it settle, siphon it back into the tank at the same time it's running into another bucket to rinse the gunk out. You could also have debris downstream of the sediment bowl if there's no screen in the sediment bowl or the tank fitting. I don't know what tank fitting you have on an 87 ford, just imagining there might be one similar to the right angle shut off with a screen that they used for decades.
Thank you I will give it a try and post results
The fuel tank or filler cap may have a plugged vent, thus causing a vacuum to slowly build while running. When the motor stalls or falters loosen the fill cap and listen for a rush of air. Sounds like a classic example.
does your 655 have the button on top of the joystick that operates front bucket.it put's the transmission in neutral when you press it.it eliminates the need to shift to neutral on the gear selector.I can't seem to find any info on this switch,Thanks bill
Hi Tinker. Sorry it took so long to back to your response to my problem. You nailed it brother. It was the fuel cap. Vent rusted shut. Thanks much for your expertise.
Bill Yes I have a switch on the joy stick. I will dig into my manual and see if I can find anything out about a part # if that helps
Ok thanks homebuilder would like to know if i could bypass this switch.my machine is stuck in neutral after setting several years