Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1987 Trojan 3500Z Wheel Loader

savage actual · 2025-04-05 13:17

Anyone have a line on parts for these old trojan loaders? recently bought one at auction to do some work on my property. 3900 hrs and has a Navy data plate on it. Was in a Govplanet.com auction at some point because stickers are still on it. seems pretty tight but needs hydraulic hoses, some intake rubber hoses ect. Also have to bleed the fuel system as the yard operator ran it out of fuel charging the battery. Anyone with experience or know much about the machine or duetz v8 diesel would be appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1Acecadet2025-04-05 19:43

    Looks to be a rebadged O&K loader. A lot of the parts are off the shelf. I bought a Trojan 1500c a couple years ago. Same kind of issues. Needed hoses, rubber parts like fuel lines, intake boots, belts etc. I bought a Chinese hose crimper, vevor hose, and a bunch of fittings. I purchased the whole pdf parts manual for the machine but most of the descriptions were super vague and the part numbers were just unsupported dead ends. I just found you have to dig around and find info from the manufacturer of the specific components. Engine, transmission, axle hydraulic valves, brake system components etc. Saved a lot of money hunting around for components and making my own hoses.

  2. #2savage actual2025-04-05 20:20

    I've got a local shop that can make hoses pretty cheap. did yours have a lift pump for the injector pump? I think I may add one as the fuel bowl with manual primer isn't installed on mine. would make priming the system easier. Looks like they used air pressure on the tank to prime. Has yours been a good machine? any known common issues on the air/oil cooled diesel? Tires are a little cracked and dry rotted and man those things aren't cheap!

  3. #3Acecadet2025-04-05 20:56

    Mine has a 353 Detroit. Not very well known for starting after filter changes or running out of fuel. It is also set up to use air to prime the tank. I’ve been happy with the machine but I put a lot of work into pins and bushings. Wish the engine was not so loud but that’s the nature of the beast. I’m sure an electric lift pump would be a good idea on yours. I work on large mining equipment. All the newer machines have electric lift pumps. It sure makes service and cold starting easier. I don’t have alot of experience with Deutz. The few smaller ones I’ve worked on were super reliable. Just make sure you keep the cooler and head fins clean. Also be sure that switch for the fan belt breaking works. Overheating will kill them fast.

  4. #4B&B2025-04-05 21:18

    I deal with a couple of these machines, they're Trojan but made by o&k. Zoro has best prices for filters, they seem to have electrical issues and discontinued parts. One has the dash burnt out so we put a 1 wire alternator and it's been running for years, gets serviced 1-2x a year and runs 5-6 days a week 5-6 hours a day. No matter how much neglect it always starts and moves but it has had issues getting airbound. Hour meter broke probably 5 years ago at 12k hours and it still runs strong. Make sure your belts are good, the tensioner usually wears out after a year or two, and keep the engine clean so it doesn't overheat and it'll be a solid machine

  5. #5savage actual2025-04-06 01:19

    thanks for the insight, I have manuals but have a question about something. there is a lever on the front side of the motor very close to fuel feed and return lines. It has a small black, round handle and is connected into the valley of the motor. any idea what this is? im going to open the air cover and go through it. ill post pictures, the manual shows a fuel bowl and manual primer here but its not present.

  6. #6B&B2025-04-06 19:01

    What motor is in it? I deal mainly the inline 6 deutz

  7. #7savage actual2025-04-09 19:35

    Its a v8 deutz 12.7l I believe. I took the top cover plate off the fuel tank and a lift pump had been added to the top. It was burned up, hard wired off the battery kill switch. It was left on when the yard operator ran it out of fuel. Getting a new one and testing. I believe this explains the problem.

  8. #8B&B2025-04-09 23:30

    Makes sense, whenever we wire one of these up we usually go to the keyswitch for power or in marine application they get power through the oil pressure switch so if the motor stalls you can't leave it on