I noticed that my temp gauge was getting extra high and I was noticing chattering when I let off the brakes when beginning to move. When it was cooler it runs fine. I decided to change the cooler and found a bearing and another little peice on the top of the oil cooler. Does anyone have an idea as to where this bearing and other piece would have come from? I also noticed oil in my antifreeze after rebuilding my radiator, which lead me to this. I'm flushing everything and now going to check the transmission filter/screen under the floor board. One last question. The connection for the hydraulic lines to the oil cooler. In the pictures, are there O rings to seal it to the cooler that I need to change? Any other suggestions are welcome! THANKS !!
Could have been from a previous failure.? Yes there are (arrowed). And they are so flat they should definitely be replaced. They are probably so hard that they will likely break when you try to pull them out. Wait until you get that screen out. You may be surprised at what you find in it.
Thanks Nige!! I pulled the filter out and didn't find anything (yet). Still cleaning... If there's a screen, I don't see it right off. I need to find it. Where might I look ?
Have you cut the filter open yet looking for particles.? The video below might be some help. Here's the screen. If you want to get deeper into it a Serial Number is always a good idea. An operation & Maintenance Manual might also be a good idea if you don't alkready have one. These days they can be downloaded in pdf format for around $50.
OK. I think I have it now. Serial number is 8RC00990
Different drawing for that Serial Number. #20/21 below. Not sure if the best way to get at it will be from abvoe by lifting the floor plate or from below after lowering the belly guard. BTW in case you're interested your tractor was built in May 1987, not 1988.
Thanks gain Nige! I've been busy cleaning my way underneath this beast. I bought this dozer not too long ago for a project at my home and knew I would have to do some work on it, but this isn't quite what I had expected. Since I'm going to be replacing the trans oil cooler and flushing out the cooling system. I decided to also replace the TDTO oil. I visited Cat and they are having a sale on the oil this month (25% off), so I'm replacing 29 gallons (per Caterpillar). Now to find the drain plug. Seems like you have to be part contortionist to get to some of this stuff!
You need to be a triple-jointed dwarf.......
I've got part of the qualifications, but not the important ones. How many drains are there? I'm having a little trouble trying to find the power train section that I need to change. Mainly the section that runs the oil through the oil cooler I just changed.