Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 Ford F800 Clutch identification/adjustment

doublewide · 2019-11-10 19:48

Hello all, I was hoping you could all help me with this. The other day I had an issue with some clutch slipping. I had backed to the bottom of a slight hill with a load of stone, came to a stop and when I started to pull out the clutch slipped a bit before grabbing and proceeding up the hill. At first I thought it was wheel spin in soft ground but then I smelled the stink of clutch material burning and so, here I am.

Replies32
  1. #1doublewide2019-11-10 19:50

    I got some great info on this from this recent thread; HeavyEquipmentForums much of which follows what I have in my Ford Truck Manual. Which is, by the way, a 1976 copy. I do not have an ‘88 manual.

  2. #2doublewide2019-11-10 19:51

    Here’s where I need some help. I cannot find any info on this clutch. I did a google search and come up with nothing so I don’t know what size this clutch is or whether it’s a single or a double disc clutch. The tag says: “Dana Angle Spring Clutch” “Spicer part no. 129685 – 3 E 88” There is no clutch brake on this unit.

  3. #3doublewide2019-11-10 19:53

    I have always thought that the transmission in this truck was fully synchronized, but, this particular unit is not covered in my outdated Ford manual so I cannot be sure. And there seems to be a slightly different procedure for synchronized vs non syncro. The trans is an Eaton Fuller 5 speed model FS6105A The only info that I can find online on this trans is a parts breakdown which does list syncro assemblies.

  4. #4doublewide2019-11-10 19:56

    This is what the procedure looks like to me; Measure the distance between the throwout/release bearing and the clutch housing while the pedal is up (clutch engaged) If the distance is not between 11/32 and 13/32 about 3/8”, then remove the lock, depress and block the clutch pedal (clutch released), rotate the adjustment ring clockwise to increase the distance or counterclockwise to decrease the distance. Remove the block from the pedal and recheck. Adjust the pedal linkage to adjust pedal free play. The only procedure and specifications that I have on this is for F500 – 750 and F and B 6000 – 7000. Any input would be appreciated.

  5. #5_Weldman_2019-11-10 20:06

    FS6105a means Fully Synchronized 610 ft lbs of torque rating max with 5 speeds. Look up FS6206a they are adjusted same way.

  6. #6doublewide2019-11-10 20:09

    Thanks for the reply there Spud_Monkey. I'll check that out.

  7. #7funwithfuel2019-11-10 20:13

    How bout take a pic up through the inspection hole. If you have about an inch to inch n a half. Between the plate and bearing it's a single disc, if you got less than 7/8 your probably a double disc. What engine you got in front of that, is it the Brazilian 7.8l ?

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-11-10 20:17

    Synchronized speed is why you have no clutch brake. Dont need it. Spud monkey has been down this road both sides in recent months.

  9. #9_Weldman_2019-11-10 20:17

    https://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=581636 Might be simpler to understand this...

  10. #10funwithfuel2019-11-10 20:32

    Oh sure, use pictures and technical information why dont ya?

  11. #11_Weldman_2019-11-10 20:39

    Working on it

  12. #12Truck Shop2019-11-10 21:02

    Good job Tater Monkey .

  13. #13_Weldman_2019-11-10 22:53

    Thanks, I would change my screen name, but I can’t so... Rather put something else if I could.

  14. #14funwithfuel2019-11-11 06:39

    Just get banned, then you can start all over. Lol

  15. #15doublewide2019-11-11 07:05

    Yup, 7.8. I was quite certain it was fully synchronized when I saw that there was no clutch brake so thanks for confirming that. Kinda has to be with the 2 speed rear, right? I'll get a picture of the greasy mess later today. Thanks!

  16. #16doublewide2019-11-11 07:06

    Great info there, thanks!

  17. #17funwithfuel2019-11-11 07:19

    If by chance you have an inspection hole that really reveals the Mating of the fly wheel to the pressure plate that would be terrific Please take a picture from there as well if you can

  18. #18doublewide2019-11-11 10:07

    Not sure if these help...

  19. #19doublewide2019-11-11 10:09

    It's hard to tell from the first picture but there is 3/8th of an inch between the throw out bearing and the clutch spring housing. I rotated the adjustment ring 4 notches to get that.

  20. #20funwithfuel2019-11-11 10:10

    OK from the bottom you can clearly see a Spacer plate that tows us you have a twin disk clutch. With the information that spud monkey provided you should be able to get that rascal adjust it up tight. Why is the adjuster out of your clutch. If you put a 12.point 3/4 socket and push it in you should be able to turn that screw with the pedal down to adjust your plate.

  21. #21funwithfuel2019-11-11 10:12

    Does that clutch have the big square lugs or does it have the Spring loaded spline that turns the adjusting ring

  22. #22doublewide2019-11-11 10:15

    There is no adjuster like that in this clutch. You have to use a bar and pry against the square luggs on the adjusting ring.

  23. #23doublewide2019-11-11 10:21

    With the adjustment that I have done thus far I currently have 2 and 7/8 of an inch of pedal free play measured off the steering wheel. This is the only apparent means of adjusting that....

  24. #24funwithfuel2019-11-11 10:46

    Dont touch the linkage till you establish clutch plate clearance.

  25. #25doublewide2019-11-11 13:08

    Yup.

  26. #26_Weldman_2019-11-11 14:25

    Nope it doesn’t have to do with the 2 speed rear, I had a Spicer CM5552-D before my Eaton FS6206a and I have a 2 speed rear too.

  27. #27doublewide2019-11-11 17:19

    So is that Eaton FS6206A a 6 speed?

  28. #28_Weldman_2019-11-11 20:41

    Yes it is, the last two number annotate how many speeds. Since I use mine mostly as to haul my camper I live around I’m going with either taller rear or a FSO Eaton transmission (FSO Fully Synchronized O/D)

  29. #29doublewide2019-11-26 13:04

    T shirt day here today!

  30. #30doublewide2019-12-16 19:56

    As a follow up to this, I confirmed the clutch to be a 14" double disc;

  31. #31doublewide2019-12-16 19:58

    Replacement assembly; 109500-10 pilot bearing; F2HZ 7600B

  32. #32doublewide2019-12-16 19:59

    Stairs are almost done.