I have an 1988 JD344E, the front wiper had 2 speeds, fast stopped working and the a few weeks later slow also stopped working. I checked the fuse and it was fine, I purchased a new switch and it didn't fix the problem, I purchased a new wiper motor and THAT didn't fix the problem. However four out of the 5 wires have power to them at all times as long as the key is on and it doesn't change when I activate the selector switch. Any advice or help in any other way would be appreciated.
Serial number?
CK344E D000169
Bad relay? I am not sure on that model but is there a high and low wiper relay under the instrument panel?
Thanks for the reply, if there is I havent found it, as you probably know JD engineers that design and build their equipment dont ever plan on taking it apart, I havent even really got to the wiper motor enough to remove it yet. I will try and find the relay you mention tomorrow. Thankks again.
Im fairly certain that machine is a hitachi built loader with a Deere engine. We had a 444E and the serial number tag said it was manufactured by hitachi
Oh I don't dispute that, It says that on the serial# tag. However...as strict as JD is when protecting their company by not releasing the rights to outside entities so they can manufacture and sell to the public replacement parts, I can only assume they have strict control of HOW it is manufactured. I could be wrong (I often am) but that's an subject for a different thread. Both the switch and the wiper motor that I purchased at my local Deere dealer are Hitachi parts in Hitachi packaging.
D000169
Did you check the wiper relays?
I have never found them. By the way, thank you for the reply...I'm currently working on the drive shaft carrier bearing on this same machine and will look more for the relays while I have it here.
They should be in the load center on the right side of the machine. I think they will be the second set of relays from the front.
Thank you I'll check it out, I'll post what I find and if that is/was the problem.
Update.....The machine ended up at a shop, to have the driveshaft carrier bearing changed, while there I had them diagnose the wiper issue. It appears that the CANBUS connector(the wiring harness) has rotted out and is effecting the wiper operation, that is the good news, the bad news is it's a discontinued part and there are none to be had. The shop is going to try and do a work around and get the wiper operating. I'll let you all know how that goes.
Well it appears like the 344E will live for a while longer, the shop was able to source enough parts from Deere to repair the wiring harness and get the wiper to operate as it should. However I'm beginning to worry that with what parts are now obsolete and as more parts for this machine become obsolete at what point will I not be able to keep using it? I think if and when it becomes time that I need to replace this machine I'll go to Cat, they have a much better track record for having parts availability for their equipment.
Unfortunately I think Deere places their parts for older machines into obsolescence too soon. Probably to trying to force people into buying newer machines.
Yes, and don't allow patents to expire so aftermarket can come on line and fill the needs. Case in point, the park brake pads on this machine are still available however they are $380.00 a set and the size of the palm of your hand. Doesn't seem right.
New question about my 344E, since it has come home from the shop, the windshield wiper works fine now, but the machine no longer charges. If the engine is running and the alternator is turning is it suppose to be putting out a charge regardless if the key switch is on? Does the alternator need to have something tell it to charge? like a wire from the ignition or some place else on the machine? Also when the machine went to the shop the battery light functioned as it should and the transmission filter flow sensor worked, neither of which do now...related?
Just a followup to close out this thread....My loader is back and working fine, the charging issue has been resolved and turn out being a blown fuse, The fuse must have blown when the shop was rebuilding the wiring harness. All lights on the dash monitoring the machine system are working fine now. Thanks for any and all help with my questions.