Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 Link-Belt LS4300 CII solenoid valve identification

iowahill ยท 2019-10-29 12:45

As others before me have done I'm rewiring our LS4300 CII because the original controller and just about everything connected to it had been taken out and by-passed for manual control. The wiring was as amateurish as possible, but apparently worked prior to my getting the machine. My partner and I have been replacing some bad burned wiring and switches with more substantial wire, switches, and connectors. I've also replaced the right console with an aluminum panel that accommodates new switches for controlling the 9 solenoid valves and other functions. As the original Hobbs meter was missing I'm putting a new one in so that we can keep track of running time for maintenance. The throttle motor had been wired to a center off toggle switch such that movement of the switch handle to either side would step the throttle motor up or down. Although that isn't working for us now because of bad wiring I'm going to run new wire and and a new switch to see if I can get it functioning again. If not, John C of this forum suggested simply running a boat throttle cable and control back to the linkage for manual control. But I am going to try to get the previous system working first. What I need to know is identification of each of the nine solenoid valves and their function. We've tickled each and find that they are activating when hit with 24 volts, but knowing what they are doing is critical before we fire up under pressure. Several are already identified but one on the valve body, one above the three on the right of the pump-side hatch, and what looks like the joy stick control pressure remain unknown to us. We have all the manuals, and I enlarged and printed the electrical schematic, tracing the paths of each. But because of the various safety interlocks it gets confusing as most of those are by-passed. I haven't as yet found anything in our manuals that helps to define the locations of the various solenoids or their function. John C said that this 1988 Sumitomo-built excavator is essentially the same as the Sumitomo SH300 and Case 9040, so perhaps one of this forum's members can point me to a resource that can help us out. Thanks, -Tom

Replies0

No replies yet.