Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1988 Peterbilt 379 suspension

bsamot69 ยท 2026-02-09 10:32

Hello all. I'm in a pickle with my 1988 Peterbilt 379 dump truck with a CAT 3306b diesel engine. I want to replace The rear suspension bushings. I've searched a bit for parts and the issue is that most of these trucks came with low air suspension or other air type rear suspension. The truck I have does not have any type air suspension. I'm having trouble identifying it. Any ideas as to what suspension it has? I can supply whatever info needed. Thanks in advance.

Replies12
  1. #1Truck Shop2026-02-09 10:42

    Post a photo, possibly PacCar spring or Hendrickson.

  2. #2bsamot692026-02-09 18:14

    Here are some pics of suspension . I can get more.

  3. #3Truck Shop2026-02-09 18:16

    Where?

  4. #4Truck Shop2026-02-09 18:54

    I down load into a PC file of photos, To post I click on {attach files} find the photo then click {open}.

  5. #5bsamot692026-02-10 10:05

    I'm trying again

  6. #6bsamot692026-02-10 10:06

    Nope, still not uploading.

  7. #7Truck Shop2026-02-10 10:08

    Hmm.

  8. #8BC Placer gold2026-02-10 13:11

    I notice if I try and upload a photo it is often too large, could that be your issue? (note: my phone is fairly old iphone12) so not huge files. What I do is screenshot, then crop....that usually works.

  9. #9bsamot692026-02-18 12:26

    I think my phone has a personality disorder with attachments and the forum. I figured out this truck has the 4 spring tandem rear suspension. I want to replace the bushings if I can find a source for parts.

  10. #10Truck Shop2026-02-18 12:37

    Just call Kenworth dealer with year made and last six digits of vin number. To know exactly what you have. There are lots of aftermarket available.

  11. #11crane operator2026-02-18 16:18

    If you take pictures and the vin to any competent truck parts place, they should be able to identify the suspension and get you bushings. There is a chance that the vin won't get the right suspension, the truck could have been air ride and converted to 4 spring when it became a dump truck. Here's some pics of some 4 spring suspensions, let us know if any of these are close. First picture is a reyco 4 spring. Second is a Hendrickson 4 spring Last two are Pete 4 spring

  12. #12Truck Shop2026-02-18 17:09

    Glad you posted all that, I'm tired of it.