Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1989 Cummins 855 Help

ms0115 ยท 2016-02-24 06:23

I had a big cam 350 come into my shop, off of a sawmill for a rebuild.Here is the problem, it has step timing that I would like to do away with. I have a good set of heads and rocker boxes and injectors for the non step timing set up. Does anyone know what cam that I can change to do away with the step timing? I have tried all the salvage yards in my area and no one has the parts I need. Any help on identifying the cam or the location of one ,new or used would be appreciated. Thanks. [email protected]

Replies6
  1. #1DoyleX2016-02-24 07:51

    That engine has the higher lift cam the the 1,2 and 3's. The pushrods, rocker boxes and rockers are different. I good friend of mine didn't know how stc worked so he built a BC3 out of it. Curious... Is it high or low flow? The nice part about using the later big cam block is the lower press fit liners. Find a serial off of a BC3 and I'll get you a cam#

  2. #2ms01152016-02-24 08:06

    It is a low flow system. I have the heads, rocker boxes, push rods and rebuilt injectors for the non step timing engine. I just need a cam and I don't know if the timing gears are the same? I had truck come through the shop with a big cam cummins, back tracked the cam from the serial # 3801763. It says it is a flanged shaft, not sure what they mean or if it would work? Thanks for the input

  3. #3CaptainAnalyzer2016-02-24 10:25

    Do you have a CPL?

  4. #4ms01152016-02-24 15:47

    The motor has no tag, but it has the number 14489020 stamped on the block, but this is for a step timing motor. However, I am looking for a cam for a non step timing. Thanks for the help.

  5. #5DoyleX2016-02-24 16:23

    The 380xxxxx get me nowhere same with the 144xxxxx. If they have been through the recon process sometimes I can't get the info I need.

  6. #6CaptainAnalyzer2016-02-25 09:04

    I have a Non-STC truck cam in Lakeview, MI. PM me and I can help you out.