Hi guys, I have a project Case 580K phase 3 backhoe. The original engine lost a valve that destroyed the front piston. I found a company that had a factory reman Cummins 4b-390 engine on the factory shipping stand. Engine sat on in a climate controlled shop on a shelf for 6-7 years as they parted out the machine it was going in. We pulled the old engine and installed the new one last weekend. Except for spinning the oil pan 180 degrees (and changing the oil pump pickup to match) everything was a complete match. The new engine came with the complete Cummins reman fuel system (lift pump, injector pump, lines, injectors). The engine must have been factory run as it had fuel in the filters and although drained, the oil pan had a small amount of oil in it. After we got everything hooked up, we bleed the manual lift pump and lines according to the steps in the factory shop manual. When we applied power to the fuel shut off solenoid (from key) we heard it click but no fuel comes out of any of the four output lines when the engine is cranked. We went through the manual bleeding process again with the same results. Unfortunately, the machine is 2 hours away at our camp, so trying to get ideas together before we head up to try to troubleshoot. Wondering if the fuel shut off solenoid could be "clicking" but plunger not moving. First thought after reading all I could here, is to run a separate fused wire from the battery to the solenoid and see if that changes anything. Second, i was thinking about changing the solenoid from the old engine. If the manual lift pump is pushing fuel, would it be worth looking at that before I think about changing the injector pump? If I have to try to change the injector pump, I read here how to find TDC on the compression stroke and use the lock pin in the timing gear, but how do I time the injector pump from my old engine to the new? First diesel project and help appreciated, thanks, -J
Did you open the bleeder at the filter and use the manual pump until all the air came out ?
Billrog, Yes, I loosened the air bleeder above the filter head and pumped until clear fluid then closed, then turned on ignition, loosened the screw on the fuel injection pump and again pumped until clear fluid and closed. Then pumped 5 more times just as directed in the service manual. Then I cranked the engine with the output lines cracked and no fuel came out of the injector pump.
You should have system voltage at your shutoff solenoid when the keyswitch is in the run position. Its possible that the plunger is stuck from the engine sitting so long. If you have power at the solenoid, then remove it and check the plunger.
Vetech63, That's what I'm hoping....a nice easy fix. I still have the one from my old engine still to try also. I'll report back how I make out. The machine is 2 hours away, so I won't be able to get up there until next week.
Not to be off subject or hijack a thread, but I dropped a valve also and just got my head done, I broke the the lil nipple on the injector, do you guys think it will run like that? It's just the very tip small little nipple. I'm hoping I can just get it running enough to pull it out of the pond. It broke down inside a pond and it's been in there a week, j8st got my parts and head back together today, so I'm hoping it will run good enough to lift the buckets and out riggers to move it. Or will it flood my cylinder?
You will flood the cylinder and burn up a piston fast.
You wouldn't know a part # for injectors would you? It's a 207D case engine 580D case backhoe everytime I look it up it wont come up for my machine.
Go here to verify the numbers. https://partstore.casece.com/us/par...4339d657&sl=EN¤cy=#epc::mr65712ar394394 Less than $24.00 on ebay.
The clicking u hear IS the plunger snapping closed/open.. its working fine. The problem is a stuck metering valve under the top cover or stuck pumping plungers deeper inside the pump. U can do the stuck mv but prob. not the plungers.. the pump has to come apart..
Greg.. DO NOT even THINK ABOUT turning the key.. The inj P# is stamped into the body.. right on the long stem just about where the inlet stem meets the body. U usually need a wire wheel to clean it ..
Is the new engine a Cummins branded engine or a Case branded engine? That's Coy's question. Greg, if your backhoe is not flooded (under water in the pond) then you can run it like that to get it out. LEAVE the injector line OFF that injector so it only runs on the other three cylinders, it should have plenty of power to pull/lift itself out of danger. If you just need to lift the hydraulics and you have other machines to pull it out, then there are easier and safer ways to move the hydraulics.
That's the trouble with having a piggyback thread I was talking about JWeir and his new engine asking which branded engine he used. I agree with Thepumpguy on Greggs engine it shouldn't be started.
GOOD IDEA about leaving the line OFF THAT injector Delmer..
Unless it's knocking for some other reason, and it BLOWS UP on him...
Coy, My replacement is a cummins branded engine. The original was Case. I've gotten some good ideas here and thepumpguysc has offered some insight and an avenue if I need the pump worked on. All appreciated. Hopefully, I'll get up to the Maine (where machine is 2 hours away) this coming weekend and delve into it further. I'll report back what I find. -J
Sounds good be safe
First off huge thank you to thepumpguysc! With his guidance my daughter and I managed to get the new engine in the old Case fired up. We cleaned the metering valve on the reman pump (had been sitting 7-ish years) but it still wouldn't pump fuel. We ruled out the fuel shut off solenoid, lift pump, emergency shut off valve. We removed the pump and put the one off the original engine on, bled the lines to the pump and the injectors and the engine fired quickly. Quick check for leaks, topped off hydraulic fluid and every seems to work as it should. Couple odds and ends and it should be ready for some light work to help with the break-in. Everything I've read says no idling, no full throttle, vary the speed for at least 3 hours. Any other advice appreciated. Again, thank you to all the ideas here and to thepumpguysc for guidance. Some body work and rebuilding the bucket are spring project planned for this old machine. I'll post links when that occurs. -J
Awww.. I'm blushing.. Lol Glad to hear things are going your way.. Keep us posted..