Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1990 D3C LGP 8DG00020

Jami L Carter · 2019-02-28 14:19

Hello again. Just looked at a dozer I'm thinking about purchasing. Both recoil springs are broken. It also has pyramid type tracks which I would replace with single grouser track shoes. I've priced the parts and they are reasonable. It has 4000 hrs with a new motor (it went nose first into a pond) My questions are, do the tracks adjust by the grease zirk near the recoil spring head or the nut at the rear of the idler arm and will the new track plates bolt onto the existing chain which is at 75% along with most u/c parts. And is the dozer worth 15k. I looked it over and aside from an oil leak here and there seems tight

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2019-03-03 09:45

    The adjuster zerk should have a big hexagon underneath it. Unscrew that to de-tension the tracks, pump grease in to tghten them. The big nut is what retains the tension on the recoil mechanism. DONT touch it unless you really know what you are doing....... So long as the track shoes are the correct ones for the tractor they should bolt straight on to the links. Check the measurements of the bolt hole pattern before you start would be my advice.

  2. #2Jami L Carter2019-03-03 19:33

    Thank you. Is it common for the recoil springs to break. It has the n/a 3204. I've read mixed reviews on that engine

  3. #3catman132019-03-03 19:52

    (it went nose first into a pond) how deep did it get in the pond, did it get water in the transmission , there maybe more unseen problems that have not shown their ugly face yet.

  4. #4Jami L Carter2019-03-03 21:14

    I'm not exactly sure the owner said rather than mess with trying to drain everything out he just put a new engine in the new 3204 has 1000 hrs

  5. #5Nige2019-03-04 08:58

    It’s not uncommon for recoil springs to break. You may be in for more parts than just a spring though, a tractor that age you would also normally replace the inner rod and the nut at least. What Catman is alluding to in his post is that it’s all fine to replace the engine but what other components, such as the transmission for example, may have also got water in them when the tractor went swimming and what state are they in..? repairing those could potentially be a money pit.

  6. #6Jami L Carter2019-03-04 09:02

    Ya I dont wanna get into all of that. I'm looking for a solid machine not a problematic machine thank you