Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1990 D3C oil pressure sensor

flambeau ยท 2019-11-05 17:58

hello, 1st time post here. I have a1990 d3c, and I need to find the oil pressure sensor to test it. my oil pressure dropped off into the red. the oil level is good. the gauge has a single wire running to it. also can you test the sensor with an omh meter, and what should you read if its good , and bad. I looked on both sides of the engine but didnt see it. my cat book only shows the plug to remove and hook up a pressure gauge, but I cant find that either. the motor is a 3204 9Y1875, s/n 45V88137. thanks for any support. randy ( flambeau)

Replies6
  1. #1kshansen2019-11-05 19:21

    I have checked SIS and if it is right that machine should have a mechanical gauge not electric. Could you conferm the machine S/N is 5K01361? Also if the gauge is a Cat gauge more than likely there will be a part number on the face of the gauge, would it have the number 1W0705? that is a mechanical gauge. what may look like a wire could be a thin plastic tube going to the engine. Look on the side of the engine block a little below the head possibly on the left side as you sit in the operators seat for an elbow with a thin 1/8 inch? plastic line going to it.

  2. #2flambeau2019-11-05 22:20

    the machine pin number is 5KG01361, motor is 3204, 9Y1875, s/n 45V88137. thanks for the reply. i'll double check in the morning when it warms up a bit. im in northern wisc.

  3. #3Welder Dave2019-11-06 01:02

    My 86 931B with a 3204 had the cheap nylon line for the oil pressure gauge. I replaced it with a rubber hose. Connection is on the left side at the back near the fire wall.

  4. #4kshansen2019-11-06 09:05

    That is kind of what I was thinking for the D3C, that nylon tubing could be mistaken for a 16 gauge wire.

  5. #5flambeau2019-11-07 09:00

    i replaced the line from the block to a new gauge, and presto, 80 psi of oil presuure. what a relief. thanks for the replys, randy

  6. #6kshansen2019-11-07 19:03

    Always nice to see a good pressure when you had thought there was a major failure happening!