Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1991 Topkick wanting a air gate

Brandon_M · 2022-03-04 21:38

Got a 91 Topkick with a manual lever operated tailgate. Is it complicated to install a air cylinder & valve switch in the cab to operate a air release tailgate? Thanks

Replies9
  1. #1525isx2022-03-05 11:24

    depends on how mechanically inclined you are

  2. #2Brandon_M2022-03-05 11:30

    Well I’d like to think I’m decent. Others might not think so much lol.

  3. #3Brandon_M2022-03-05 11:32

    Is it just a matter of mounting the cylinder & hooking to the release rod, plumbing air to the cab & back to the cylinder? Where do you get your air from, just the main tank? Do you cut your release rod to fit or another way?

  4. #4Old Doug2022-03-05 11:37

    Find a truck with one and look at it. Its not a big job.

  5. #5crane operator2022-03-05 11:49

    Buyers even makes a kit. https://iteparts.com/images/TailgateAirCylinder-Install.pdf And like everything else, there's a youtube video:

  6. #6Brandon_M2022-03-05 12:02

    Lol……. I actually just finished watching the video. I understand a little better now. But do all cylinders like this require 12v like those instructions show? In the video I believe all he ran was airline.

  7. #7Nige2022-03-05 12:17

    A proximity switch for a warning light to show the open/closed position of the tailgate cylinder maybe.?

  8. #8Brandon_M2022-03-05 12:18

    Oh ok yes that makes sense Nige

  9. #9gwhammy2022-03-27 09:23

    I like the air cylinder with the over center handle still on it. Don't really trust just the air cylinder holding the latches shut. Mine hooks on the rod right under the manual handle and I can look in my spot mirror to see if it's locked or not.