I’m getting sick of my dummy lights being on so I’m replacing sensors and wires that rodents killed and now I’m down to the alternator wires, very sketchy on that because I don’t want to fry the computer or alternator. Only one wire (the main feed) is hooked up right now and it still charges. I see 3 wires that potentially go to it but I can’t confirm where on the alternator they go. Can anyone look/ take pictures of theirs? I have a systematic chart from Cat but that doesn’t help placing them on the alternator. Serial number is a 7DK01724 I’m aware that it’s a gray market machine, it doesn’t let me forget.
Nearest electrical schematic you will find is for a 6GK-prefix machine with a low Serial Number (up to 00392). Here is an extract from said schematic. If you post some photos of the alternator connections (do they have any letter markings on them.?) I'm sure one of the alternator experts will point you in the right direction. Also what are the colours of the wires you are trying to identify.?
The majority all go to the safety relay, then some go to the key switch, one to the Engine/Pump Controller. I went off the 6GK- prefix schematic and it is all there, mind you a little bit to navigate around. Any questions will try to help. This is the schematic Nige sent me a long time ago for a 312 where I live. Simon C
If my memory serves me correctly the OP already has a copy of the appropriate schematic.
I checked them all out but will wait till he posts pictures before responding. Simon C
Yep I got a similar wiring diagram.. Talked to Cat tech and they was nice enough to send me the specs of the alternator for the gray market machine. They told me I cannot share the sheet they gave me, do to them still making the alternator so I can only describe. The wires I was having trouble with was the D746-PK, 403-GN, and 309-GY. The 403 and 309 pig tail on the alternator was messed up so I couldn’t figure between the two (L and R posts). The pink d746 was completely gone and I guess my eye site was gone and I couldn’t find it’s plug in the alternator.
So - D746PK goes to the Safety Relay P-Terminal through Connector 11, then it goes to Connector 2 of Engine?Pump Controller Pin #3 (Alternator P Terminal) That P-Term., may not have a plug but may have a stud instead. Not 100% sure on that part. Also 403-GN is the Alternator L terminal and also goes to the Safety Relay through Connector 11 then to Connector 14 and is the Service Hour Meter positive feed. Also R-309GY ( Alternator R- Terminal ) goes to Connector 11 also of Safety Relay and on to Key Switch BR Terminal for Engine Preheat. 403 Green is a positive output with engine running from what I understand to feed the Hour Meter if that helps. Simon C
I forgot to say that I believe the P- Terminal is an AC output that tells the controller that the alternator is running and don't start until the signal is gone. ( Alternator no longer turning.) Simon C
Here’s the complete diagram that I have, and so far all the wires match. Don’t really care what the wires do, just so they worklol Going to try tomorrow and cross my fingers that that dumb dummy light goes out. Only one more electrical problem after this and I think it might be up to snuff (not a fire hazard). The dash board has a button that is stuck, that’s next on the list to fix. I sure don’t like critters in my wiring, it can cause a lot of hair pulling!!!
Let me know what happens one way or another. Simon C
Undestanding what each wire does is key to connecting everything correctly, or am I missing something.?
I know, sometimes it seems like there is useless wires that still do something… I’m kinda new to wiring so not all makes all the sense right now but I’m learning with everyone’s help. Thanks!!!
Got that pink wire hooked on but that pig tail (terminal L and R) was chewed to crap so still not quite sure which is which. Maybe it don’t matter.. Did run it with the pink wire hooked and the dummy light disappeared!! Terminal “P” is a spade connector that is very hard to see with the alternator still on the machine. Thought I let you know.