Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1993 IH 4900 DT466

03 EC210 ยท 2017-10-27 19:23

Hi All I just bought this truck with only 200K mi on it. Works great but has a automatic tranny in it. I want to change the transmission fluid and filter so I'm seeing if anyone knows what type of fluid it takes? Can't find any tags or numbers on the tranny yet. Thanks for any help

Replies3
  1. #1Junkyard2017-10-27 19:33

    Most likely an Allison if it's an auto. I'd say any ATF trans fluid with Allison listed would be ok. I use O'Reillys global spec in my truck at work. Being that old it's all mechanical I'm sure so any good quality fluid would be fine.

  2. #2Tenwheeler2017-10-27 19:55

    Dextron III. Later they went to a new spec synthetic. I get Allison Transsend from Freightliner or Mobile 1 from Napa, it has the Allison spec # on it.

  3. #303 EC2102017-10-27 20:26

    Thanks guys I was thinking something simple. Ya it's all mechanical, levers, linkages and cables almost no wires anywhere. I love it.