Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1994 cat d5c xl series iii dozer basket case

2982fair ยท 2025-03-27 13:41

Hello all, new to forum. I just aquired a 1994 cat d5c xl series iii dozer serial# 9dl00608 with cab removed. Obviously after ensuring all fluids and common pre start checks were good I attempted to ensure dozer would run. Ran into a few problems as listed below 1. Dozer would not start with ignition. Dozer started by jumping starter first crank. Engine runs great. If anyone could provide ignition schematic or parts breakdown? 2. During operation of blade up down function works great. Blade angle did not during operation two hyd hoses burst. After inspection it appears that hyd lines had been swapped. If any one could provide hyd schematic or parts breakdown? 3. During test drive dozer goes forwards and reverse. During steering operation dozer had no steering function at all. If anyone could provide schematics or parts breakdown? Also any literature or explanation on how steering system functions. Was trying to avoid spending 1000.00 dollars on manual until I can diagnose if machine is monetarily worth salvaging. Thanks in advance Thanks in advance

Replies25
  1. #1Nige2025-03-27 14:21

    Check your message inbox. Schematics incoming. I get where you're coming from but regarding a Service Manual I'm not sure where you get the $1000 price. List for a new paper manual is $750 with a CD priced at $480. I always adivse people to look at a service manual as an investment that they can more than likely sell separately for the same price they paid for it when the machine is sold. Here are links to a new OEM CD version on eBay for $430 and a used paper manual for $403 also on eBay

  2. #2LCA0782025-03-27 14:52

    There are also a few sketchy websites that sell downloads for much cheaper. I don't endorse any of them and have no connection but I've gotten the random odd manual for fairly cheap without issue. Just google exactly what you asked for: "cat d5c xl series iii dozer manual download" and roll the dice on what you get.

  3. #32982fair2025-03-27 16:15

    Thank you kind Sir.

  4. #42982fair2025-03-27 16:17

    Thanks for info.

  5. #5pittsburgh cat man2025-03-27 16:28

    As far as the steering i would check p1 and p2 To see if it's at primary pressure (round 80 lb ) if it is load piston orfice is plugged not a big deal to replace

  6. #62982fair2025-03-27 17:17

    I don't have any drawings on this machine. I assume you are saying check pressure coming into or out of steering control valves. Thanks for the info

  7. #7pittsburgh cat man2025-03-27 17:49

    p1 and p2 are under little cover on the big cover on top of transmission

  8. #82982fair2025-03-27 18:05

    Thanks for info. Do you have a parts breakdown of steering control portion. I'm just guessing on what items are at this point

  9. #9Nige2025-03-27 19:23

    Have you read the SysOp document yet.? There are a lot of useful illustrations in that.

  10. #102982fair2025-03-27 19:39

    I have, but I want to make sure pressure is at steering valves prior to digging deeper. I only have a few good days of weather and working on dozer outdoors. Manual ordered. Just trying to pick the brains of the masters Thank you kind sir!

  11. #11pittsburgh cat man2025-03-27 19:51

    steering clutch pressure comes from transmission goes to valve worked by the pedal that sends it to a slave cylinder that works the clutch

  12. #12Nige2025-03-27 20:08

    Sorry missed this one out the first time. I keep forgetting it's not part of the powertrain T&A.

  13. #132982fair2025-03-28 12:58

    Thanks a million that helps tremendously

  14. #142982fair2025-04-04 16:45

    Update: Ignition was faulty relay. New problem will not shut down. I have to apply voltage from battery power to engage fuel shut off valve to shut down engine. Checked voltage at fuel shut off valve and have 12 volts from Ignition switch for a few seconds. Which should be normal due to a timer switch in circuit. I also jumped from hot wire with 12 volts coming from starter prior to timer switch directly to fuel shut off valve and it doesn't activate fuel shut off valve. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

  15. #152982fair2025-04-04 16:52

    Update: No steering issue.I checked pressure at all ports and all pressures were within parameters based on T and A standards. I then adjusted brakes and boom I now have steering. Is this normal or are the service brakes doing all the work. Is there a way to inspect/ adjust steering clutches and piston without removing access plates. Any info will help.

  16. #16Nige2025-04-04 16:58

    Steering couches disconnect the drive on one or both sides, brakes slow down or stop the tracks depending upon how hard they are applied. Steering clutches have no adjustment apart from pressure AFAIK.

  17. #17pittsburgh cat man2025-04-04 17:40

    There are adjustments but it's usually only done at clutch replacement

  18. #18Nige2025-04-04 17:55

    Are you saying that if you apply batt+ direct to wire 327-PK the engine shuts down OK.?

  19. #192982fair2025-04-05 10:01

    Yes! I have 12 volts at that wire with ignition for a few seconds but it doesn't shut down engine

  20. #20Nige2025-04-05 10:55

    That wasn't my question. What I was asking is that if you apply an external 12v supply to wire 328-PK at the shutdown solenoid does the engine shut down.?

  21. #212982fair2025-04-05 16:33

    Yes

  22. #22Nige2025-04-05 16:40

    In that case can you put an amp clamp over the 327-PK wire and compare the current draw between when it is powered from the Shutdown Timer and when you power it direct with batt+.

  23. #232982fair2025-04-06 10:29

    Thanks

  24. #242982fair2025-04-07 11:55

    Thanks for the help nige. I found bad connection at shut down timer. Works like champ.

  25. #25Nige2025-04-07 12:00

    "No parts required" fixes are always good...........