Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1994 John Deere 310D

lobo · 2025-05-08 17:11

This old girl acts like she is running out of fuel. Shut her off and let set for 5 or 10 minutes she starts right up but again runs out of fuel in a few minutes. Installed a John Deere pickup pump and new filter still doing same thing. I don't think I could have trapped air or need an injection pump? Any ideas and thanks in advance.

Replies9
  1. #1Diesel Dave2025-05-08 19:49

    There is a strainer on the end of the supply tube in the fuel tank.

  2. #2lobo2025-05-08 20:04

    Do I have to drain the tank to get to it? Thanks

  3. #3lobo2025-05-08 20:23

    So maybe their is a pickup tube under the step plate?

  4. #4Diesel Dave2025-05-08 23:32

    .

  5. #5lobo2025-05-09 04:16

    Thanks Dave that is exactly how it is acting. Dirty strainer runs out of fuel let it sit and fuel tries to return. I will be on that tomorrow and let you know what I find. Good thinking Dave

  6. #6lobo2025-05-10 18:34

    Dave that strainer was covered in sludge. She is running like a top, more power than she has had in a long time. I will try to post a picture and thanks again.

  7. #7Diesel Dave2025-05-10 19:05

    Holy frak …thats plugged. How large is the drain in the tank to help flush that crap out ?

  8. #8lobo2025-05-10 19:35

    I don't know Dave I just had a total knee replacement 5 weeks ago and it was about all I could do to get these couple little jobs done. I am anal about clean fuel and fuel cans and have owned it since 2007. How it was treated before I got I have no idea. I also like to keep em full so I will run it down a bit and then try to flush the tank when I am feeling a little better. That is really a fine screen on that strainer. I think I will add some Lucas fuel injector cleaner tomorrow. That strainer works because there was really no dirt in the glass bowl fuel filter to speak of. I am delighted she is fixed and will let you know how much dirt I get out of the tank when I flush it. Thanks again for taking the time to help me.

  9. #9Diesel Dave2025-05-10 20:36

    No worries ,good to hear you’re up and about. I guess after 18+ years the strainers not too bad.