Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 953B Cat Loader question

chrismatin ยท 2015-11-24 15:30

1995 953B vin# 9BL00884. Men I have a chance to buy this tractor, does anyone know if this was a good year for the 953s. What motor & reputation it has etc. Has 7500hrs ,rippers & a 4-1 bucket. I own a 2004 963C & a 1999 953C now. Tks

Replies8
  1. #1Bob/Ont2015-11-24 16:43

    If it has the old HPCU unit any 943 or 953 is bullet proof and way better to own than any C model. The 63 and 73 was not much heavier than they were and put through twice the HP. Work it for an hour or so to make sure it's good. Later Bob

  2. #2Cutterjohn2015-11-25 06:26

    9BL prefix is a 963B, you'd be looking for a 5MK prefix for a similar era 953B.

  3. #3chrismatin2015-11-25 11:20

    My fault meant to say/type 963B. Your correct. Good machine/reliable?

  4. #4Bob/Ont2015-11-25 13:19

    The 963 is also reliable but the HPCU doesn't last as many hours between rebuilds as the smaller ones. Best if you can work it for a few hours before buying to make sure it doesn't vent out and stop moving with out reseting (shift to park and back into gear).That machine has a 3116, I prefer the earlier model with 3304. Later Bob

  5. #5bam19682015-11-25 18:01

    Bob/Ont, I'm curious why you prefer the earlier models with the 3304?

  6. #6Bob/Ont2015-11-25 20:53

    The engine is my preference easier for anyone to rebuild with regular tools, no need for expensive Top Set Tool Groups to change the cups and injector set up. I also prefer the HPCU units to the C models, easier to set up for me anyway. Also the 53 and 63 have common Hyd and drive oil so any failure results in an EXPEN$IVE clean out of hyd system as well as the drive system. Later Bob

  7. #7Dickjr.2015-11-25 22:37

    I'm going to start a new thread , but looking at a 943 with 10k hours. Bob I need your input. I'll have it up tomorrow.

  8. #8chrismatin2015-11-27 20:37

    So a 963B is solid, reliable tractor, if maintained properly. At 7500 hours what will need replacing/rebuilt in near future besides undercarriage? How many hours should be expected from the engine, before rebuild. Tk