Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 Case 1845c will only start if left “cranking”

davidempey ยท 2015-06-30 13:38

I have a 1995 1845c that will only run if the starter is left cranking. When the key is springs back to the run position, the machine quits. If I leave the starter spinning, it stays running. New switch was installed last year. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Replies10
  1. #1pajibson2015-06-30 15:16

    shut off solenoid Hold in coil? which engine and injection pump?

  2. #2davidempey2015-06-30 16:05

    Sorry, it's a 1998 with 4-390 Diesel engine. Not sure of the pump.

  3. #3kshansen2015-06-30 19:45

    First thing I would check is to see if the wire to the injection pump is "Hot" with the key in the "Run" position. Might have a bad switch unless someone changed wires lately.

  4. #4wrc2015-06-30 21:23

    If the relay on the pump has 12v it's internal. Most likely the hold coil is not getting 12 volts and the start coil is. I have also seen a loose spade connection.

  5. #5pajibson2015-07-01 09:25

    Im guessing either ignition switch as kshansen said or the fuel cut off solenoid. I have seen the 4-390 with a couple of different pumps so that will make a difference in whether you have a 2 or 3 wire fuel cut off. the bosch inline pumps its is bolted on the outside of the pump and has 3 wires "pull in, Hold in and ground". Rotary pumps have a feww different configurations. ANy chance we can see a pic of what you have? that'll help us nail it down for you.

  6. #6davidempey2015-07-01 20:01
  7. #7davidempey2015-07-01 20:03

    Thanks for helping with this. Very much appreciated.

  8. #8pajibson2015-07-01 21:53

    Bosch inline pump. The shut off solenoid is between the pump and the block. It has a 3 wire pigtails. 1 wire should be hot with the ignition in run. One wire should be hot in crank & the third is a ground. If you have all of those the solenoid is bad. http://www.ebay.com/itm/281632465737?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT If you don't have any power on the hot in run wire start looking at the wiring and ignition switch.

  9. #9davidempey2015-07-02 14:18

    Thanks for all the help. Did as you suggested, and found no power to the "ignition in run" wire. I ran a 12 volt lead to that wire (after the harness) and all worked. So rather than chase this wire through the harness, I ran a separate lead line direct from the ignition switch to the "run" line. All good

  10. #10pajibson2015-07-02 16:47

    Glad it worked out.