Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 ford powerstroke quitting

black60church · 2018-12-21 10:46

have a 1995 ford with 7.3 powerstroke that starts up any time and runs great till it warms up or you start driving than it quits like you shut key off it cranks and does not start and you pull it and don't start has good oil pressure while it cranks let it set overnight and it fires right up does any one know the problem

Replies33
  1. #1_Weldman_2018-12-21 11:43

    Could be camshaft position sensor going out. Won't hurt to have one of those as spare so it wont leave you on side of the road.

  2. #2thepumpguysc2018-12-21 13:04

    How do u know it has "good" oil pressure.?? cam/crank sensor.. Check oil level when warm..

  3. #3_Weldman_2018-12-21 13:36

    He might be reading the pressure on the dash but he needs to read the oil pressure coming off the HPOP to the injectors too since this is a HEUI system. Around 1900 psi is needed coming off the HPOP.

  4. #4DARO2018-12-21 14:05

    I would check for codes and check the hpop oil pressure. Like said above you need lots just to get it to fire. If the crank case oil gets to low or to contaminated it will not make proper hpop oil pressure. Cam sensor is quite common. In my 7.3 days i carried a cam sensor with me.

  5. #5BigWrench552018-12-21 15:19

    Sounds like your injector oil orings are bad. The injectors use high pressure oil to open up and fire. When the engine is cold the oil is thicker and will let it start with some oil leakage. Once it gets hot the oil thins out and your high pressure oil passes by. I’m willing to bet that when it’s cold it takes more cranking time to start than it use to. Good luck and I hope this helps.

  6. #6Wes J2018-12-21 18:31

    The cam sensor will definitely make it act like you turned the key off. They can also fail in all kinds of weird ways. My 95 got to where it would act like it was running out of fuel all the time. Swapped the cam sensor and it snapped right out of it.

  7. #7Ronsii2018-12-21 19:15

    More than likely a cam(crank) sensor they don't last all that long and quit when warm, have replaced dozens of them on 7.3's

  8. #8Jonas3022018-12-21 19:20

    Agree with the cam sensor as the first thing I would put in At one time ford was replacing them for free and reimbursing for ones that had been replaced pretty simple just take the old one out drop new in no adjusting or anything

  9. #9Ronsii2018-12-21 19:22

    Yep I still get recall notices about every month to drop trucks off... no way I wasting half my day when I can switch out the crank sensor in 10 minutes!

  10. #10Shimmy12018-12-21 22:09

    Stick a cam sensor in first, they're cheap. Just one little bolt and it is sealed with an o-ring. If that doesn't fix it, then the next thing "I" would check is the pressure regulator on the HPOP (high pressure oil pump). It is a real b!tch to get to, removing the entire fuel filter housing helps. Ford knows what those special little o-rings on that sucker are worth, the kit used to be like $75. I can't disagree with Paul though, that idea definitely sounds possible, but the cam sensor and HPOP oil regulator o-rings are destined for failure anyway, might as well change them first.

  11. #11_Weldman_2018-12-21 22:56

    Make sure to bring a 10mm socket while down there...

  12. #12willie592018-12-21 23:05

    That is...if you can "find" your 10mm socket.

  13. #13Ronsii2018-12-21 23:27

    Oh, How true that is!!!! I have *borrowed* several out of other sets just to keep my truck with one...

  14. #14_Weldman_2018-12-21 23:30

    Not a problem, all my tools are separated in .50 caliber ammo can's MM sockets, MM wrenches, and list goes on for about 30 of them labeled too accordingly. Easier than dragging a 3000 lbs tool chest around that isn't water proof or tool boxes mounted on the truck that leak.

  15. #15black60church2018-12-23 20:20

    my 1995 ford with 7.3 powerstroke was starting and running good till got than it would shut down like turing key off than next day fire back and do same thing now it quit and wont fire back everbody says cam sensor do you thin that is still problem thanks

  16. #16_Weldman_2018-12-23 20:43

    Does the RPM gauge move when cranking, if not yes, if no then no.

  17. #17Ronsii2018-12-23 20:55

    ^^ this. And as for other things it could be..... HPOP not making enough pressure or the pressure sensor is saying not enough pressure... or the IDM might have quit (Injector Driver Module) unlikely but had one quit on me once...

  18. #18walkerv2018-12-23 20:55

    I thought everyone carried a spare cam sensor in there glove box by now . They usually work cold then die when engine warms up when failing ,there are a few other things that can cuase the now no start problem but based on your symptoms if it were me i would throw a cam sensor at it .

  19. #19Shimmy12018-12-23 22:56

    Didn't we just have a thread on this a couple days ago??? Yep. Here it is. HeavyEquipmentForums

  20. #20Ronsii2018-12-23 23:13

    I thought I had posted before???? couldn't figure out where my post went....

  21. #21Steve Frazier2018-12-24 01:24

    Threads merged

  22. #22black60church2018-12-24 10:32

    rpm is moving

  23. #23Ronsii2018-12-24 10:36

    is it puffing smoke? yes=check glowplug relay/plugs no=back to drawing board....

  24. #24Shimmy12018-12-24 11:26

    Now THAT screws with a guy's brain. Saw the thread in the recent posts, saw the author, and knew it was the one from a couple days ago so I clicked on it. Holy buckets, what did I miss, 2 pages already? Saw Ronsii's post, then I was really confused. After clicking on the link I posted, and realizing it took me to the same place I was, I scrolled down and saw this. I've been in threads like this before, but it's confusing until you figure out WTH is going on, lol.

  25. #25_Weldman_2018-12-25 00:10

    If yes also make sure your batteries are topped off cause if you aren't spinning fast enough it won't fire off glow plugs or not.

  26. #26thepumpguysc2018-12-25 05:02

    95' Power Stroke.. Are we SURE its a HP system & not mechanical.??{low pressure} Not a lot of responses from the orig. poster.. 7.3- 6.0- 6.4- 6.7

  27. #27Shimmy12018-12-25 09:06

    Unless he doesn't know the year, it is a HEUI system.

  28. #28DMiller2018-12-25 17:43

    1994 for the first year HEUI. Prior were Roosa Pumps.

  29. #29black60church2018-12-29 20:42

    IT IS 7.3 POWERSTROKE WITH HP 1995 HAS NEW BATTERIES CRANKS VERY FAST NO SMOKE

  30. #30black60church2018-12-29 20:44

    PUT NEW CAM SENSOR NO HELP RPM WORKS WHEN CRANKING GOING TO PUT ON SCANN MACHINE PRETTY SURE IT IS ELECTRICAL R MIGHT BE HP PUMP

  31. #31Ronsii2018-12-30 00:11

    And just to be sure.... you have pulled the top fuel filter cap and it is full of fuel? If there is fuel there and the HP pump's sensor works and is telling the computer to send fuel it should smoke/start... possible issues with the HP pump, HP pump sensor, IDM computer, IDM wiring.... Have you checked the pressure sensor on the HP pump?

  32. #32thepumpguysc2018-12-30 07:12

    The scanner shoulda been the FIRST THING u put on it.. other than filling the tank w/ fresh fuel.

  33. #33barnbuilder2018-12-31 07:59

    Have you checked the plug on the IPR? The insulation dissolves and let's the wires short which will shut it off and not restart.