Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 hitachi 270lc turbo identification

demodriver ยท 2014-07-24 12:06

Ok I bought this machine as a work ready piece and its not. We ran it for a day and discovered its using over 4 gallons of fuel a hour and my operator says it labors alot while running it. Just picking the boom up it pulls the motor down. After a little bit if inspection we have determined its only building three pounds of boost. No matter what ya do that's all that it would build. I pulled the turbo to discover it has a decent amount of shaft play and it has a scare in the housing from one of the impellers. So... I ordered what was suppose to be the exact turbo for the machine thru hino. (It has a hino engine). The turbo had a different flange at the exhaust manifold and was half the size of the old one. After doing some research I discovered the old turbo is the same turbo used on international dt466 engines. Can anyone give me some insight as to what turbo is suppose to be on my engine? Or if I get the old one rebuilt if it would work properly? Any advice would be great and I can get pics of anything anyone needs. Thanks in advance.

Replies13
  1. #1demodriver2014-07-24 12:53

    The old turbo is a Borg Warner model 193876.

  2. #2lantraxco2014-07-24 14:15

    Huh, thought all the Hitachi's had Isuzu engines in them. Do you have the model and serial number off the engine? Machine serial number?

  3. #3demodriver2014-07-24 14:29

    I haven't been able to find any tags or numbers on the engine. The mfg no. for the machine is 158-6542. I was told that the mfg no. is the serial number? It's on the plate at the bottom of cab on the boom side if I remember correctly. I'm pretty certain it's a hino engine.

  4. #4lantraxco2014-07-24 15:20

    Well, according to my friend at Deere you are correct that machine came with a Hino HO6CT, the turbo part number is supposed to be 24100-1870, is that what you got? It's possible somebody swapped a different engine in there, but that's a stretch. You could have the old turbo rebuilt, or buy a replacement, there's lots of places that sell that Borg-Warner turbo, they're even on Ebay.

  5. #5demodriver2014-07-24 15:46

    The one that I bought was a 24100-3340. That was the part number that john Deere gave me. I'm not sure that the Borg Warner turbo that was on it will even work properly. So I'd hate buy another one or get this one rebuilt. But if someone can tell me for sure that it would work then I would go that route. Thanks guys

  6. #6demodriver2014-07-24 15:50

    I should add that john Deere also told me it was a ho7ct engine and not the ho6ct. Maybe that's the difference. The engine was suppose to have a newer rebuild. I'm wondering if the original turbo didnt wipe the motor out and they just put what they could find back on it after the rebuild.

  7. #7lantraxco2014-07-24 16:06

    apparently there is some confusion on these machines. I would guess though that since the HO7CT turbo they sent you is incorrect that your machine may have the HO6CT engine. I think the HO7CT engine is in the 270-5. The 24100-3340 looks like it has a wastegate actuator on it, with a short hose? The pictures I found of the 24100-1870 show just a plain vanilla turbo. Without knowing for sure I don't know what I would do here, maybe get in touch with Hino, see if thet have this other turbo and ask them to measure the mounting flange, at least get an idea if it will fit.

  8. #8demodriver2014-07-24 16:21

    My experience with hino hasn't been the best and they don't have anything in stock. They wanted $2500 for the same turbo that I bought off of eBay for $800. Same japanesse brand even. I'm not having much luck finding a pic of the 1870 turbo but yes the 3340 had a vaccum waste gate actuator on the side. I will do some research with the new part number and see what I find out. Does anybody know exactly where some identification numbers would be on the engine?

  9. #9GregD12014-07-24 21:32

    The 270 is the only machine that uses the Hino engine. Something about the Isuzu torque curve wasn`t what they wanted for hydraaulic H.P. Before spending money look into the injection pump. I had a similar problem and thought turbo. Made a few calls and with low injection pressure delivered to the injectors it won`t make enough power to show trubo boost. Not saying thats your problem, but don`t rule it out.

  10. #10demodriver2014-07-24 21:42

    With the low pressure did it make any smoke? Mines blows black smoke. More then it should IMO.

  11. #11GregD12014-07-24 23:16

    It`s been a bunch of years back, and I don`t remember what other symptoms it had. Sorry.

  12. #12excavator2014-07-25 00:56

    Several different Hitachi models used Hino, EX300-1, EX220-1,2,2 & 5 and the EX270. Not sure about the 270-5 model. Anyway, the EX270, serial number 158-**** used a Hino HO6-TI engine.

  13. #13demodriver2014-07-26 15:03

    Does anybody know if a outlet for a turbo for the HO6-TI engine? I haven't had any luck with a part number yet.