Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 John Deere 410D engine question?

Peter_H ยท 2017-09-01 09:55

I have a 1995 410 D that has an oil leak. I removed the side cover yesterday and it looks like the oil is a gasket leak for a component of the engine and I don't know what the unit is. I know it sounds stupid, but it looks like its maybe a pump or a cooler. Its mounted on the engine block right between the fuel pump and the alternator. It has a thin gasket behind it and I'm going to try to tighten up the bolts first. It has two low pressure rubber hoses that go into the block. I have attached a picture if it works. It is the black unit right next to an under the alternator. What is that unit? Thanks

Replies3
  1. #1Delmer2017-09-01 10:01

    Oil cooler. The hoses are coolant/antifreeze. Find the torque spec for those bolts and don't exceed it. If you don't have the manual with the specific torque for the oil cooler, then the torque spec for that size and grade of bolt is close enough. Jdparts.com has parts breakdowns of everything. That will show you what's going on behind there before you take it apart.

  2. #2Peter_H2017-09-01 10:05

    Thanks for the quick response ! I have the repair books for the machine so the torque specs should be in there. A friend of mine who works on JD Skidders with the same engine as my backhoe said that this is a common problem with this engine. Have you ever heard anything like that?

  3. #3Delmer2017-09-01 14:59

    No, but I'll take his word for it, and however he says to fix it to.