Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1995 John Deere 762B Scraper

Anthony93 · 2024-05-18 15:26

Hey guys so I have a scraper that we recently put a new differential on and it’s constantly leaking from what I think is the breather? It’s a black knob that’s dead center of it and when you put it in 1st or reverse it leaks. But doesn’t in neutral. Why is that? The vin is T0762BX804008. Any advice or ideas would be gratefully. Even a way to possibly trouble shoot it. Maybe my coworker hooked up a line wrong? Thanks in advance

Replies30
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-05-19 00:49

    I suspect the brake hose and the differential lock hose are crossed. Is the hydraulic tank oil level going down ?

  2. #2Anthony932024-05-19 16:10

    That’s exactly what’s going on. I’ve had to fill that tank and it drops after I put it In first or rev. It doesn’t do it right away but when it revs up is when it happens

  3. #3Diesel Dave2024-05-20 08:57

    When you rev it up the axle pump is circulating the oil at a faster rate.

  4. #4Anthony932024-05-20 11:23

    How do you go about fixing something like that

  5. #5Diesel Dave2024-05-20 13:30

    I assume the tag on the current axle starts with ROAG251 or PEAG251. Confirm the proper location of the diff lock hose and the brake hose .

  6. #6Anthony932024-05-20 14:50

    Ok I will check that thank you

  7. #7Anthony932024-05-21 08:52

    I have three hoses that are connected there

  8. #8Diesel Dave2024-05-21 09:41

    Including the park brake ,I believe there should be (5) hoses in total connected to the differential. Park brake, brake, diff lock, axle filter inlet, oil cooler return. Follow the hose from the brake port, Does the hose end at the brake valve ?

  9. #9Anthony932024-05-22 08:29

    This is all I can see to where it’s going

  10. #10Anthony932024-05-22 08:30

    These are the lines

  11. #11Anthony932024-05-22 08:31

    Where would the brake valve be unless that’s the valve in my pictures.

  12. #12Diesel Dave2024-05-22 08:49

    The brake valve is bolted to the bottom of the cab floor plate, the brake pedal pushes directly on the top of the brake valve. .

  13. #13Anthony932024-05-23 21:04

    How do I access this info in the future? So I checked it out. The top hole I have gear or transmission fluid, the middle is the hydraulic tank, and the bottom just has this white liquid coming out. I swapped the top two and when you press the brake real nasty fluid comes out and again continues to leak. I’m wondering if that bottom hose is the brake line

  14. #14Anthony932024-05-23 21:06

    There’s 3 lines in a row. On the old one it has two on one side and one on the other

  15. #15Diesel Dave2024-05-23 23:16

    See the pic below. The top port (axle cooler return) ,could be on either side of the differential housing. The middle and bottom port functions are as marked. IF you find that the brake port hose is in fact connected to the brake valve then the brake piston seals and or the dual brake jumper tube are leaking internally allowing hydraulic system oil to overfill the differential housing creating the external leak from the differential housing top breather. .

  16. #16Anthony932024-05-24 12:25

    That doesn’t sound good. This differential was a pain to locate and I wouldn’t know where it could be rebuilt. Any ideas?

  17. #17Anthony932024-05-24 12:29

    I’m not at the machine but is it possible to access the brake system through the floor board? My parts guy quit and so I’m trying to figure this out on my own pretty much

  18. #18Diesel Dave2024-05-24 14:03

    No warranty from the supplier ? How many approximate hours would be on the differential since it was installed ?

  19. #19Diesel Dave2024-05-24 14:08

    No internal differential components are accessible through the floor board.

  20. #20Anthony932024-05-24 14:17

    They bought it off ebay i believe because they dont make parts for that scraper is what i was told. I think its well passed the 30 day return policy

  21. #21Anthony932024-05-24 14:19

    and roughly maybe an hour at most since it starts leaking right away. a little comes out while in neutral but over flows when brake is pressed. I need to figure out where all these components are and figure out where or how to buy them. Its an emergency is what they say.

  22. #22Anthony932024-05-24 14:22

    The bottom hose appears to be going up towards the bottom of the cab so ya everything must be hooked up right.

  23. #23Diesel Dave2024-05-24 16:17

    That Deere TeamMate II 1400 series differential was available in many different configurations and was used in all kinds of different Deere machines and some OEM applications. A Deere dealer or a good independent tech should have no trouble repairing that differential. Is there a model /serial tag attached (or on your sales invoice) ? , that will help determine the proper parts.

  24. #24Anthony932024-05-24 18:02

    I’ll have to gain access to that somehow. I don’t know why but I know we had to buy it from Africa I believe. It took months for it to show up

  25. #25Diesel Dave2024-05-24 20:03

    Don’t sweat it if you have no info and or the serial tag is missing. Most of the major internal parts will have casting numbers which will help to determine what’s what.

  26. #26Anthony932024-05-24 21:19

    I’ll write all the ones down that I see. Hopefully I can find something useful on it so I can take it somewhere.

  27. #27Diesel Dave2024-05-24 21:27

    When looking for part numbers during the repair , Search 762B at the Deere parts site https://partscatalog.deere.com . If all else fails search for PC2383 (TeamMate II ,1400 series axles) at the same site. What happened to the original differential that it required replacement ?

  28. #28Anthony932024-05-25 07:46

    They said that when one of our foremans was using he used a dozer to help push it to grab more at a greater depth. when he was doing that all i heard after that was that it was broken and needed replaced. they got it back here just fine and the only difference on that differential was the ports so they bought that and put it on. after installation it started leaking. thats where im confused. im not sure if it was leaking before or not. if not then whats causing it you know. thats why im here because i have questions that no one can answer. nobody here wants to do some research and figure it out but i do. once its broken and what they did didnt fix it they move on and there it stays

  29. #29Diesel Dave2024-05-25 08:35

    During the repair, if you need any hard parts the original differential may be a good candidate for donor parts. If it is unclear what the original issue was, I think it would be worth checking out.

  30. #30Anthony932024-05-28 08:53

    yes i will definitely do that. thank you for all your help!