I'm in the market for a small dump truck. I've found a 95 gmc topkick with a cat 3116 for sale cheap problem is that its not running. I've done some preliminary research (google searches) on the 3116 and seems like there are issues with the plastic fuel lines, the injectors and injector cups. The truck has 266,000 miles on it. I'm trying to understand how common the injector cup failure issue is and if there is an easy way to tell if that could be the issue with the truck. Is it true that the cab would need to be removed from the truck in order to remove the head and replace the cups? Are rebuilt heads available? Any other advice welcome. I'd like to buy this truck but I don't want to spend 5-7k on a new motor and then dump a bunch of labor into it also. The truck runs for a bit on either so I'm fairly convinced that it is a fuel issue. First post here, I thank everyone for the help.
Injector cups, as rule, don't make for no starts. On my '97, I had to add a primer pump to prime after changing fuel filters. Also, had to change plastic fuel supply line. As for injector cups, mine were all done in frame, cab still on. Is fuel filter full? Does fuel come out of line to injection pump, when loosened, while cranking? Without the primer pump added, it was always a PITA to get the system primed when changing the fuel filters, even when prefilling them (which is a no-no) due to contamination.
I don't know jack but on our mp8 mack engine the injector cups go out and fuel bleeds back into the tank so the fuel system has to prime up when starting. I'd prime the fuel system with a carb style pump and get it coming out the return and then try it. I still don't know jack but if the cab has a doghouse I would think you could do the job. Engine is probably more than 5k
If it won't run, starting value is whatever scrap yard pays/ton, less delivery. If you need a dump truck, something that doesn't do what you need is just a distraction.
The 3116 is a unique and troublesome beast. I made a lot of money working on them to the dismay of my customers. So many updates, TSB’s , PIP’s, pain and heartache. Special tools galore. Trying to buy parts for old topkicks is challenging. GM tried to use as much proprietary stuff they could find
I understand, I think I'll pass on this adventure. lol thank you.