Recently purchased this excavator and the heat does not work, the fan blows air but never warm, I traced the coolant lines and don’t see any valves
A Serial Number is a big help when it comes to tracking down technical information.
Serial number is 6ym01574
Thank you. So here are some parts breakdowns. I see a "controller" (I assume electronic because there is also a significant wiring harness shown) in the heater assembly as well as 3 dampers ("dumpers" on the parts drawing). I wonder if it is something as simple as a non-operational damper.? Also an electrical schematic might prove useful. Check your message inbox.
I was getting an "E" in the heat/AC screen on my 2006 CAT320C. Lachau helped me understand that the "dampers" mentioned in some of the service procedures were servo-motors (as I understand it) and controlled dampers (flaps?) that directed airflow to different areas of the cab. I located 3 of them and they were difficult to move. I sprayed them with lubricants, loosened them up and the "E" was still there...until the next day. It disappeared and the dampers started directing airflow to whatever I chose. I think it took overnight for the lubricant to really free things up. That was about 6 months ago. The "E" just appeared again and the error code on the monitor refers to a damper/servo-motor issue again. I'll be fussing with them again...hope yours is as simple.
Does it have water shut offs at the engine?
No shut off at the engine. On my display there are 6 or so lights to show the temperature you want but it appears it will only go up 3 lights which I understand to be not full heat?
I have no idea but all the info on the cab controls is in the attached.
You have to have the controller behind the seat in the correct sequence. Key on, should be able to move the heater/blower touch keys to desired position. If the controller starts blinking (error), you will have to shut the key off and start again. How do I know? This is my old machine...
I took it all apart the flaps for changing where the air blows were seized and valve was stuck throwing it into error, the recirculating button is broken tho does anyone know where to get these controllers? I don’t think it’s a cat part number
Are the Part Numbers not listed on the document I attached to Post #4 above.? If not please post a photo of what you’re looking at.
Like I said earlier...mine were sticking and lubrication freed them up. I have not had to replace the damper/servo motors. " I located 3 of them and they were difficult to move. I sprayed them with lubricants, loosened them up and the "E" was still there...until the next day. It disappeared and the dampers started directing airflow to whatever I chose. I think it took overnight for the lubricant to really free things up. That was about 6 months ago."
Caterpillar Part #4I-1276 for the controller. Discontinued part now, check with Brikers in BC or Garage ASP in Quebec, they have a lot of A/L series cats parted out. Controller fit various machines from 307-330L.
Thanks, seems like a well maintained older machine just needed some cab tinkering
Replaced by 113-2909. Still available as new OEM and new/used from other aftermarket sources.
You’re good at getting info!
Years of practice........!!
I took that number "Caterpillar Part #4I-1276 for the controller. Discontinued part now," and looked at CAT site: Replacement Parts This item has been replaced by the following item(s): Part Name Required Quantity Availability Price (USD) 113-2909: Control Panel 1 Indirect Replacement $501.84 ea. What does "Indirect Replacement" mean? Not plug and play?
Check the text of the Service Magazine attached above. If it is not plug & play there should be an installation procedure, or a link to one, in that article. TBH I never looked.