Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 Cat 311

The Big Dig ยท 2009-04-18 18:00

Looking at a 96 Cat 311, with a thumb and bucket. What do you think of 4400 hours? I am not in the business just want to mess around on my 14+ acres with. Will this machine handle 18" to 24" trees? The dealer wants $28,500 but I am thinking of offering $25,000. Any information will be appreciated. :drinkup

Replies2
  1. #1Buckethead2009-04-18 18:41

    I don't know how much experience you have running equipment. Landclearing is dangerous. Maybe you should get a landclearing contractor to do it for you then do the rest of the work yourself. The cab on most excavators is just a soft cab, it's not a ROPS. So if a tree falls on you it's not much protection. Just my .02

  2. #2td25c2009-04-18 19:19

    It sounds like your in the ballpark on the offer Big Dig.The 311 looks like a vesitile midsize excavater.It should not have any trouble with a 18" or 24" tree.If I were clearing alot I would want a bigger excavater,but if it's just a few trees that size it should work.I agree with Buckethead about the danger involved in land clearing.Most of it is common sense,a job is only as dangerous as we make it.Good luck with it.