Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 Jd 450g final drive oil discolored

Usrjcro11 ยท 2021-05-29 21:21

this dozer has 3500 hours. Was servicing dozer and checked final drive oil levels. Both had oil coming out of hole when loosened plug. The left side oil looked really cleaned but the right side oil looked dark. The dozer steers fine and the rear sprocket runs true. Could this be caused from steering clutch going bad? Thanks in advance

Replies4
  1. #1Tones2021-05-29 23:44

    A serious question. Are you left handed?

  2. #2mg23612021-05-30 06:02

    Nope. That oil is not in the same compartment as the steering clutches on "G" models. I would suggest sending the oil out for sampling, then change the oil. Then run and sample again in 500 hrs. I would also suggest making oil sampling part of your regular service to track trends that may indicate an issue starting.

  3. #3Usrjcro112021-05-30 08:12

    To tones. I am right handed. To mg2361. I will get sampled and changed.

  4. #4Tones2021-05-30 15:54