Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1996 John Deere 310D – Hydraulic Oil Issue

mvk · 2024-05-04 13:52

I have a 1996 John Deere 310D and when I fill it with hydraulic fluid and use the machine, the dipstick shows that it is empty again. There are no outside leaks and I think that the hydraulic oil is going into the reverser oil. What could be the reasons? Any help is very appreciated! Best, Matt

Replies4
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-05-04 19:48

    Welcome to HEF mvk . Is it the reverser oil level or the transaxle oil level that is increasing ?

  2. #2mvk2024-05-05 08:10

    Hi Diesel Dave, thank you for the reply! Yes, the reverser oil increased. We have not done anything to the machine.

  3. #3Diesel Dave2024-05-05 08:46

    If you haven’t done any repairs recently involving the reverser or hydraulic oil cooler hoses , I suspect the oil cooler in front of the radiator has an internal leak allowing the reverser and hydraulic oils to cross. You could try and prove it by marking and then plugging ALL the hoses to the cooler. Allow the 3 coolers to empty. Reconnect the hydraulic system hoses only and see if oil begins to drain from the reverser portion. The oil level in the hydraulic tank should be high enough for the test without having to run the machine.

  4. #4mvk2024-05-06 13:27

    Thanks Diesel Dave! I will try it out and see how it goes! Thanks again for your help!