Have a leaking water pipe that is located on the passenger side front of the engine.The water pipe is a short piece that connects to the coolant transfer connection.It is leaking from top and bottom.Has anyone done one of these and what all needs to be removed to get the work done?what kind of seals does it have.Thanks
Sounds like the joint between the two water manifolds. If you were to remove the rear piece, you could get away with just resealing the tube joint w new rings and gaskets back down to the head. Pics are always helpful, BTW.
Are you taking about the 1 1/4 steel tube with a 90* bend that runs from water pump up to thermostat housing/water rail on top of cylinder heads? If so you have to remove the stat housing to replace the o-rings on that tube. Cummins will be able to scrounge up all the o-rings, gaskets and flange seals. Easy job. But sometimes that tube can be snuck out of there.
And IIRC some just use a straight vertical tube between water pump and thermostat housing sealed with o-rings, it's a coolant bypass port. On those you have to remove the thermostat housing. You may as well install a new stat while your there.
It looks like somewhere along the line someone tried to repair it by putting some kind of sleeve in the bottom connection.From what I see it looks like the whole upper part that the pipe comes out of needs to come off?I am talking about the short straight pipe directly behind the blue heater hose.Take a look at the condition of the bolts holding the upper part (thermostat housing?)on they are corroded so bad they crumble with the tap of a screw driver.Maybe time to start thinking about putting the old girl out to pasture
I don't know if it is time for the pasture but I don't think I would tackle that if I was depending on running it in the next day or so! Looks like a good place to practice broke bolt extraction, should be good for conversation here
Re and re parts ok no problem bolt extraction not so much.I used the truck tonight for a few hours and I have got it fixed very temporarily with rad stop leak.Had a bottle kicking around in the shop and decided to throw it in but gave it a zero as far as actually working.Shut down the truck hanked the hood and pipe is dry and rad is still full.
Forgot to say thanks for the input