Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1997 f450 Bucket Truck

cocoavincent ยท 2015-10-28 15:31

Hello, Wondering if anyone could help, My problem is : I have a 1997 Ford f450 bucket truck with a TELSTA 28-d boom on it, the problem is the boom tries to raise but only about 1" then stops , the same when you tried to lower the boom, all other functions appears to be working fine, it also has a emergency 12 volt pump that operates all controls with the same result when you raise the boom. Any suggestions ?? Thank you !! Bryan

Replies7
  1. #1repowerguy2015-10-28 15:50

    It depends on what is actually happening and that is hard to say from this distance, it could be the piston packing is blown and the oil is bypassing or a blockage in a valve. Take off the line at the head end of the cyl. and try to raise it and if oil comes out in a steady stream you have a packing problem.

  2. #2cocoavincent2015-10-28 17:01

    Ok, I will try that tomorrow! Thank you for your response !! UOTE=repowerguy;595462]It depends on what is actually happening and that is hard to say from this distance, it could be the piston packing is blown and the oil is bypassing or a blockage in a valve. Take off the line at the head end of the cyl. and try to raise it and if oil comes out in a steady stream you have a packing problem.[/QUOTE]

  3. #3repowerguy2015-10-28 18:06

    Be ready for the oil to flow! Have a bucket ready!

  4. #4cocoavincent2015-10-28 19:13

    Ok Thank you !

  5. #5cocoavincent2015-11-01 18:53

    Hello, I was not able to disconnect the hoses of the elevation cylinder with the boom down , so I traced the hoses back to the selector valve and disconnected then there, I did get a nice flow of fluid from each cable with the up and down buttons, I think this would indicate the elevation cylinder not working correctly as you suggested the packing might need to be replace, I found the packing kit # Telsta part # T- 76349, would you know where I could purchase a kit ? Thanks for all your help !!!

  6. #6repowerguy2015-11-01 20:31

    Not for sure where you are but hit the yellow pages for a hyd. shop close by and let them match up the parts.

  7. #7cocoavincent2015-11-02 06:45

    Will do, Thanks !!