Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1997 John Deere 992

Mikejusza · 2018-07-24 00:07

Hello everyone! My name is Mike I’m new to this heavy big boy toy I just bought a 992 John Deere and have a few questions. I’m really hoping someone can share some info on it. So the turntable has some oil that comes out of it is this a serious issue? Does this machine have 2 swing gear boxes one for right and one for left? I’m unsure now if I’ve made a good deal I just hope that the turntable bearing is not going to get damaged from oil inside as I thought only grease should be present in there. Is there a way to drain the oil out from inside the turntable gear? Any insights would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you in advance.

Replies15
  1. #1uffex2018-07-24 03:27

    Good day Mike If your machine looks as the attached it is self explanatory, suggest that the swing ring is lubricated by grease if you need to check the wear you can find the instructions at Excatech.org Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2Wilson8922018-07-25 07:09

    In the battery compartment to the front of the machine you’ll find a diamond shaped plate held down by 2 bolts. Open it up and see what’s in there. To drain this area crawl under the center of the car and you’ll see a similar plate you can remove it and drain the area. Mine was the lower seal on the swing gear box although it could also be the rotary manifold. If the gearbox is low or has no oil it likely the swing gearbox. It’s not hard to replace but is heavy. It’s in the middle of the house ahead of the pilot valves. Remove the bolts and with a lifting device pull it straight up and out. If you go to JD parts you can get the parts blowup and the disassembly is fairly straight forward seal and o rings will cost you 2-3 hundred. Make sure the dowels are not broken or missing that indicate the swing gear to the ring gear. When all back together pump a 5 gallon pail of grease into the cavity where the gears mesh and rotate the house several times to distribute. Grease the turntable bearing by rotating the house and adding 4-5 pumps of grease at 90 deg intervals. That was my experience on my 892, John

  3. #3Mikejusza2018-07-25 12:30

    Thanks a lot I will definitely Drain what’s in there. Thanks for the great break down Wilson892. Another thing I noticed is when moving more than one hydraulic a one time for example both booms and bucket it seems to move slower than I’m used to. Is this a hydraulic pump issue?? The place where I bought it from (Alaskan Equipment Sales) use cheap hydraulic fluid... could this be a reason for this.

  4. #4Wilson8922018-07-25 15:21

    Not sure on your function speed could be a pump on its way out. When you track does it track straight or do you need to correct your path all the time. Reason being is when you track one pump runs left side and other runs right. If one is bad you’ll track sideways or you could have bad deals in your swing manifold. John

  5. #5Mikejusza2018-07-25 16:23

    I’ll check into that. Thanks a lot. I’ll get back on the page and let you know.

  6. #6Mikejusza2018-08-01 10:45

    Hi Wilson892 so seem to be ok when driving. but the turn table is leaking pretty bad. I checked the swing gear oils and they are good. So does that mean I need to rebuild the rotary manifold?

  7. #7Wilson8922018-08-02 07:39

    Possibly but did you pull the plates and drain the turntable? There should be grease in there not oil and water. Could also just be water getting in and mixing with the grease and leaking out. I’d start with draining cleaning out as best you can add a couple tubes of grease and operate then check again to see if you have oil leaking in from manifold. If not see if you can find out where the water is coming from seal that up add a pail of grease and your good to go. John

  8. #8Mikejusza2018-08-02 09:31

    I have not drained it yet. But it smells like hydrolic fliud. I’ll definitely start by pulling the plate and do what you said. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks a lot for the guidance Wilson892

  9. #9Mikejusza2018-08-05 16:30

    So I’ve pulled the big round plate off the bottom of the unit. And there was an inspection plate I pulled it off and a whole bunch of water and greese came pouring out about 20L of it. My question now is how much greese should be in there and how do I get it in there. In the manual it says to pump 6 times at every 45 degree turn. I just don’t think that would be enough. Also is the water getting in threw the top where the seal is for the rotary manifold?

  10. #10Wilson8922018-08-05 17:12

    Ok so you’ve drained the turntable. You can see the turntable gear thru the drain hole. The swing motor gearbox pinion turns on it and provides your swing. The turntable bearing is between that gear and the outside. Your manual is telling you how to grease the bearing. To put grease in the area of the two gears open your battery compartment door and in the storage area to the front of the battery area you will find another plate with two bolts like the one underneath that you opened to drain the area. You might have to dig thru crap to see it. That is where you’d put the grease to lub the swing gears. Water could be getting in thru the manifold seal which I’m not sure what it looks like. Also water could get in if the swing gearbox is loose mine had broke the dowel pins and was moving. Other than the top plate that you need to find to put in grease that’s the only places I know of for water to get in save someone dunking the machine in a lake and it filling up thru the bearing. Like I said earlier about a pail 20 litres goes in the gear cavity. John

  11. #11Mikejusza2018-08-05 19:55

    Ok I did find the other plate from the top. However there is very little space there to really do anything. I can see maybe 2 teeth, do I just pump the greese through that hole. And like the 20 L of it like you said

  12. #12Mikejusza2018-08-05 19:57

    Obviously I would rotate the house and not just pump all in one place. Sorry to be a hassle without this forum I’d be in some trouble. So thx again for the very helpful tips

  13. #13Wilson8922018-08-05 22:16

    Yes pump some in and rotate abit till you get the pail all in. You won’t make it all the way around. Once you have the pail in rotate the house around and around in both directions to distribute the grease all thru the cavity. John

  14. #14Mikejusza2018-08-11 13:00

    I took the rubber off the rotary swivel and vacuumed out the dirt clumps that been in there for years probably. I’m cerious if I have to pack greese inside there or is there a nipple for the swivel somwhere

  15. #15Wilson8922018-08-12 08:30

    Do not know. Sorry. John