Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1997 snorkel tb80 boom lift

Kevin Schick ยท 2024-06-04 14:49

Hi, I'm new to the forum, i have a 1997 snorkel tb80 that has a boom extension cylinder that's leaking pretty bad, i'm not sure about how to get that cylinder out of the boom, just not sure what i all have to take apart to get the cylinder out, it looks like to me it's going to be a big job, any help someone can give me would be greatly appreciated, i'm kinda in dire straits. Thanks for your time. Kevin.

Replies3
  1. #1TCat2024-06-04 19:02

    Welcome to HEF Kevin. I'm sorry but I can't be of much help to you, as a matter of fact I'm in the same boat as you. I have a Skyjack SJB66TK that I need to pull apart to reseal the extension cylinder on. I have some other things to fix on the machine as well, but the extension cylinder will be the biggest and hardest by far I think. In my case my main boom articulates and I'm pretty sure I have to pull the boom pins there and then get the cylinder pin out so that I can take the cylinder out the rear end of the boom. I have the factory service manual, and parts manual, but neither really tell you how to do the job. I guess they just figure you will know. lol Does your lift extension chains inside of the boom? If so there are some videos from a guy on Youtube that took his JLG apart that might be helpful for you. If you don't already have them, I would check with Snorkel to see if you can get the Owner's, Service, and Parts manuals for your lift. Most of the lift companies will let you download them for free or will email them to you if they are no longer posted on their websites in the case of older lifts like yours and mine.

  2. #2Kevin Schick2024-06-04 19:59

    Hey, yeah the only thing i can find online is a operators manual and the parts manual mine has 4 cables 2 extension cables and 2 retract cables the cylinder is pinned in the back, i'm not 100 percent sure but i think you take the pin out unhook the cables which 2 are on the back and 2 are on the front by the basket and slide 2 boom sections out to get at the cylinder. Thanks for your info. Kevin

  3. #3TCat2024-06-04 21:21

    Here's a link for the YouTube video I was talking about. There are several videos in the series where this guy is working on his JLB including one where he accidentally sets it on fire while working on it. It's a big job for sure, but he actually did it by himself.