Key broke off so I replaced the switch. Now it starts but dies after the the key returns from the Start position. Which wire keeps the shutoff valves open - is it a ground. Had a mouse nest in there and some chewed wires. Still looking for a clear readable wiring diagram. Thanks in advance.
It wouldn't be too hard to figure out if a person had a schematic to go off of. Maybe someone else will chime in, Simon C
Usually the IGNITION terminal of the key switch is used to power Fuel solenoids and alternator excitation terminals as it is the position the key is in while running. Oterwise the fuel solenoid drops out. Maybe the new switch is no good, changed a solenoid 2 years back that died a week later. Did you test the IGN terminal with a test light and the key turned to the 1st position right. A wiring diagram would definitely help. Simon C
2nd pic in this thread. HeavyEquipmentForums
Was looking at the 2 pictures of wiring along with another post that had diagrams. Do you have a pink wire there as another post picture showed one going to the IGN terminal. Or does yours have only the yellow and Orange. Different schematics with different wiring colours. What colours do you have there to work with. Simon C
I think heymccall has a link to the correct diagram. The one I have is different/colors. One note is that I realized the terminal for the ground on my switch does not exist. So I will add one to start. If this does not fix it I have double checked all wires and terminals and they seem good… so I will check all antsagain and maybe try another new switch but again it could be that I am just missing the ground terminal an the switch to the body. I did have some hungry mice. Thanks and I will report back.
Orange & red go on IGN terminal. Sounds like you have orange on the ACC terminal.
I did not change any wires. The female 5 pin plug on the harness is unchanged and all wires seem to be set into the clips and tight. I do think I might just be missing the single ground from the key to the frame. Right now, there is no connection on the ground terminal. Iwill try this in the Am and review the diagram posted. Thanks
My number one issue with my 1845C machines (we had several) was the failure of the multipin connectors on the harness at the rear of the cab. They are there to allow sliding the cab forward. I ended up lopping all 3 of them off on my machines and replaced them with deutsch connectors. If nothing else, unplug them, then reconnect them. Look for corrosion.
Where are these connectors? I have checked all the bullet connectors, and Packard56 connector and pins on the key switch and the gauge cluster. Are there some further back. Not at machine now.
Wiring leaves instrument panel to rear of roof, then is bolted to outside of cab rear wall. At bottom of rear wall, as the harness heads toward the bell housing of the engine, there are 3 multi pin connectors. Same style as a 4pin trailer plug. I had to replace all of my connectors there, years ago. Rock them apart (they're friction fit) and examine for corrosion. Put them back together and retest.
Good when someone has actually seen the exact problem. I would listen to this advice. Hands on experience. Simon C
Thanks. Will check on those connections. Will report back. Thank you.
So I found the wires to the oil pressure switch broken right at the connector. Two black wires. Is there a pigtail splice for this as I don’t have any tiny pins that would fit the connector. And yes was down behind the cab as suggested. Or can these two wires just be tied together to test the start up. Ie connect the wires to complete the circuit. Thanks
Ok thanks to all for the help. Here was the problem. Two wire harness rub throughs and a broken/ loose wire on the sensor posted above. The harness that ran through the top of the cab / instrument panel to the engine had a bare wire that was hard to see because it was facing the outside and under the wire cover. When the panel was removed to replace the key it would short out but a couple of times it was ok because the panel was open and the wires moved around while attempting to dx it. Also there was a bare spot on the light harness that runs from the panel to the front lights Both bare spots were from just many years of this little machine giving its all every day. So if you have shorts check where the harness first runs through the frame as both areas had problems. All was ok till the instrument panel was removed and the wires were moved enough to make it no go. B