Was cleaning the snow on my driveway. The machine had been running for about 15 minutes I got to a point where I stopped and dropped the bucket to do a reverse scrape, and just before I put it into reverse the engine quit. I know my tank is 3/4 full. I noticed that the gas pedal did not return all the way back to idle position, So I lifted the hood and found that the bell crank at the distributor pump was stuck in a position around 80% throttle, I could move it to 100 % open either the pedal or by hand, but it would only return back to the 80% open position. Could a pin inside the pump have come loose or something like that? Has anyone had the same issue? Thanks TT
Can u post a picture of the throttle.. I might be able to diagnose it from a picture.. or 3..
Here you go. As can be seen, I can rotate the throttle counterclockwise to full open, but it returns only to about 80% open
You need to disconnect the throttle linkage to ascertain if the problem is with the throttle linkage mechanism or inside the pump. If you disconnect the linkage & the throttle on the pump springs back, you need to look at the area behind the firewall near the accelerator pedal. This is where the hand throttle from the hoe connects. The cable could be seizing up or the pivots may have bound up somehow. If the problem is in the pump, which is unlikely, pumpguy will want to see your pump on his workbench. Re the engine cutting out, it looks cold there, is there water in your fuel filter? Is the inline filter clean? - first things to check.
Alrman took the words right outta my fingers.. Disconnect the linkage and see whatcha get..
I can move the pedal towards the idle position a bit, so I don't think the linkage is stuck. It seems pretty loose going back and forth the little bit I can move it. I can push the pedal to 100% open and the throttle goes to 100%, but then stops back at the 80% position. It was -14C here yesterday when I was running the machine. Seeing how the pump is not really in contact a great amount with the engine, and the air from the fan is blowing across the pump, There might have been some water in the fuel that could have frozen an internal component in the pump. The Temp is going to be +3C around here tomorrow. Hopefully if it is frozen, it will thaw and things will release. If not then the pump is messed up. It would probably explain why the engine just shut down abruptly. There was no gurgling and sputtering before it shut down. It was like I just turned off the key. I'll see what happens tomorrow. I will also disconnect the linkage just to be sure. Thanks for the responses. TT
Hello all. Well I finally got the machine running again. There must have been some water in the fuel, and it froze. I could not get the water drain on the large fuel filter to expel any fuel. I bought a small heater and heated the filter. I was then able to get some fuel and water to drip out of it. I then blead all the connections, including the ones at the injectors. The machine then started and purred like a kitten once again. I would just like to thank everyone that chipped in in trying to solve this, Very much appreciated. PS: What is the best gas line antifreeze for diesel fuel? Cheers, TT
I use white bottle Power Service and in bad case Diesel 911 but I’ve (knocking on wood) never needed it in the last 30 years. I despise that stuff but have seen the 911 work in a glass jar in my 20’s.