Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1998 Cat 330BL monitor not working

ToxicTrav117 ยท 2021-04-18 00:37

We have a 1998 cat 330 excavator that the monitor went out and doesn't work. Because of this, we are running the machine off of the backup switches. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this? Where is the ECM located as I cant seem to find it to test if it's working? Serial Number 6DR02467

Replies14
  1. #1Nige2021-04-18 00:52

    Check your PM's.

  2. #2Nige2021-04-18 23:38

    I seem to recall something about a wiring harness connector in the cab (under the floor maybe.?) that gets condensation & corrosion in it. Try this but it may turn out to be noot related - HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3ToxicTrav1172021-04-19 00:15

    When I get time to look at the machine I'll try and take a look underneath to see if that could be a possible problem

  4. #4Dave Neubert2021-04-19 18:50

    The wiring harness runs along the floor you have to pull the plastic side off you will find a connector there on the floor it is most likely corroded

  5. #5ToxicTrav1172021-04-20 13:59

    Anyone know what a red and green light displayed on the controller means?

  6. #6Nige2021-04-20 17:21

    Lifted from another thread (that believe it or not you started)............ I'm not 100% sure of the info. See if the attachments help you in some way. "If i am correct normally indication light on the controller should be green in colour. If it indicates yellow as well it means there is a communication problem between monitor and controller. If it indicates red colour as well it means controller's CPU is not working"

  7. #7ToxicTrav1172021-04-20 20:15

    Well according to that its the controller that is bad since the red light is on with the green light. I guess that's all I need to know

  8. #8Nige2021-04-20 20:38

    I think I'd still be checking the wiring harnesses and the connectors for corrosion and/or damage before shelling out for a new controller.

  9. #9ToxicTrav1172021-04-20 20:50

    Since we're talking about the same machine that seems to always have a new problem. What would cause the boom not to lift? lol. The boom won't lift, not a lot of force down. Thumb doesn't work but the dipper, bucket, tracks, and the swing work. Stuck valve or solenoid somewhere?

  10. #10BL44ZR2021-07-13 01:54

    I have the same problem on my Hitachi EX58MU - everything else works but boom won't go up.

  11. #11Mulla12023-03-09 15:45

    Just back to the monitor problem . I have the same monitor problem in that it lights up on first turning the key on then goes out and stays out. The machine starts and we run it in override mode. Question is , if I connect a seperate power source to the red wire and earth the black wire out should the monitor light up and stay on .? There are 4 wires into the monitor 2 yellows ( I believe data feeds) and a red and a black.

  12. #12Nige2023-03-09 16:48

    To avoid errors if you want an electrical schematic to identify which wire does what for monitor panel then post a Serial Number.

  13. #13Mulla12023-03-09 21:56

    Thanks Nige you had previously sent me the schematics and I have cofirmed the power and earth wires. My question is should the monitor stay lighted when connected to a seperate power source ? What is happening is the monitor will light up for about 2-3 seconds then goes blank. Does it need valid information from the data inputs to remain lighted or is there a problem with the power side of the monitor. The machine is a 1994 Cat 350L No. 9DK001

  14. #14Nige2023-03-10 09:18

    I think so. Hopefully someone else can confirm that.