Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1998 cat d5m xl

dwaynegsc ยท 2023-08-25 10:34

Good morning all I'm new to this group. I have a question regarding the 98D5m that I just purchased when it's cold in the morning. The clutches seem to function smoothly after they get to operating temperature and warm up they seem to hang up a little bit .is That a sign of excessive wear or normal. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks have a great day..ytaesnhdacpedecdy

Replies25
  1. #1Nige2023-08-25 10:40

    Is this a steering clutch and brake machine.? How about a Serial Number.? Do you have any idea what oils are in it right now.?

  2. #2dwaynegsc2023-08-25 12:23

    Yes it is clutch brake fingertip controls I just bought it from a reputable used equipment dealer so I don't know which oil is in it and ser. # is 6GN01086 thanks

  3. #3Nige2023-08-25 13:05

    Did the seller supply any oil analysis results with the machine when it was sold.? Was it given a full oils/filters service before you took ownership of it.? Did the tractor come with an Operation & Maintenance (O&M) Manual.?

  4. #4bigbudsr672023-08-27 23:45

    Have a D5M XL with Finger tip controls, Had all new undercarriage put on it and it has always banged when steering it the left side more than the right side. But seem to do it more now, talked to a guy and he had the fix had a Cat mechanic who has the software adjust my steering and brakes by the software and took care of the problem. Does it once in awhile now. was told all the FTC do this just did not know.

  5. #5Nige2023-08-28 06:14

    It sounds as though you need someone with a Click Box to set the adjustments on the steering clutches and brakes. Not a job for the uninitiated if you haven't done it before.

  6. #6bigbudsr672023-08-28 19:59

    As Nige states I would get someone that know's what there doing. The Cat mechanic had the tracks in the air and with the laptop hooked up he adjusted the brakes and steering, which he has done a few of these and then drove it and said good to go and major difference.

  7. #7Nige2023-08-29 07:36

    The "tracks up in the air" bit is common, but the calibration can be done either using a laptop and ET or using a 4C-8195 Click Box which was the old-style way of doing it. The advantage of the latter is that there is no proprietary software involved and even making your own Click Box from scratch isn't difficult. See HERE for a thread explaining it and instructions on how to make one. It DOES NOT include instructions for steering & brake calibration procedures though.

  8. #8rondawson2024-03-16 17:27

    I have a 1998 D6M and the fingertip control on the right side quit working after I did a little welding on that side. any suggestions

  9. #9Nige2024-03-16 17:33

    Is the SERV CODE icon in the display window permanently lit up.?

  10. #10rondawson2024-03-16 17:42

    yessir

  11. #11Nige2024-03-16 17:51

    OK. Click the link in Post #8 above and educate yourself on how a Click Box works. With nothing more than a couple of bits of bent wire you can access Diagnostic Codes. You should find out which codes are Active. If you want an electrical schematic to go looking at fuses, etc, then post up a Serial Number.

  12. #12rondawson2024-03-16 18:07

    4JN00876 where is the fuse box

  13. #13Nige2024-03-16 22:38

    Behind a cover located below the left side of the dashboard.

  14. #14rondawson2024-03-19 17:13

    Haven't fpound fuses yet. Took off a few covers, found cabin filter and brake foot pedal switch, is it possible they are outside?

  15. #15Nige2024-03-19 17:23

    See the attachment. The circuit breaker/fuse panel is Ref #1. I think you're batting a loser with fuses. If the fingterip control for one side works then the one for the other side should also work because the power for both of them comes from the same place. This is clearly shown on the electrical schematic I sent you. Question: Where exactly were you welding on the RH side of the tractor.? Was the welding ground cable attached right next to where you were welding.? Did you disconnect the batteries.?

  16. #16rondawson2024-03-19 18:37

    found them tx

  17. #17rondawson2024-03-19 18:40

    Ya the welding ground was right mext to where I was welding but didn't disconnect batteries. I've welded the lugs on tracks before and didn't have any probs

  18. #18rondawson2024-03-19 18:47

    I was hoping the controls were on different circuits lol

  19. #19Nige2024-03-19 19:46

    Swap the connecting plugs on the two FTCs. If the problem moves to the other side then the FTC is the problem. If it stays where it is you have a wiring problem. Rodents maybe.?

  20. #20rondawson2024-03-19 22:50

    I will tomorrow. I' m assuming that I'll have to get into the arm rest box

  21. #21rondawson2024-03-20 21:51

    ya, I switched ftc's and the other side works now but the one doesn't so i'm going to take the one ftc apart tomorrow

  22. #22rondawson2024-03-29 17:26

    Does that armrest with the FTC's flip up? Trying to get the FTC out and having to almost stand on my head lol.

  23. #23Tyler d4c2024-03-29 17:44

    What are you referring to as the ftc

  24. #24Nige2024-03-29 19:53

    This assembly - aka Fingertip Control or FTC.......... AFAIK the armrest does not flip up. Disassembly is likely not to be the easiest task in the world.

  25. #25Tyler d4c2024-03-29 20:00

    I was thinking that's what he ment the 5m I had it was definitely not the funniest part to repair