Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1998 JCB backhoe tranny issue

jonnyguz ยท 2023-04-19 18:06

Just bought the tractor and I have had issues with it moving..it will go forward for a bit then stop moving ..I Rev it a little then it will move again then stop again...Does the same thing in reverse...sometimes it will stop moving altogether...There is the pedal on the far left that doesn't seem to do anything..Any Ideas would be very appreciated

Replies13
  1. #1cosmaar12023-04-19 22:42

    Some basic things come to mind.... Have you checked the fluid level? When was the last time the filter was changed?

  2. #2joe--h2023-04-20 00:24

    Did it move when you bought it, or DOA? Joe H

  3. #3jonnyguz2023-04-20 05:26

    no it did move and it movesthe d fluid lenow but it will stop ..then start moving again then stop....the fluid level is good...no I didn't change filter..I'm thinking of changing the solenoid valve on the top of the tranny...

  4. #4Vetech632023-04-20 07:34

    Is this a 1400B/1700B? It sounds like a fluid restriction preventing even pressure

  5. #5jonnyguz2023-04-20 13:44

    it's a 1400a

  6. #6Coytee2023-04-23 08:47

    I've got a 1550-B that had an issue once. Turns out on the left stalk (F/R lever) there was a soldered wire that had a bad solder holding it onto the lever. It was a wire that went to the solenoid (or something....) I pulled lever off, resoldered the bad connection and have never had an issue since. I don't recall how I zeroed in on this shifting lever (probably been 15 years ago).

  7. #7Coytee2023-04-23 09:44

    Mine also doesn't work and never has during my ownership. I believe that's going to be your 'Inching Clutch". Imagine you have a loader full of dirt....want to raise it as you are approaching a dump truck. You want to give some throttle to raise the bucket faster BUT, you might also be in gear. My understanding is that will disengage the drive allowing you to raise engine RPM's to raise the bucket faster. I've never used one so am not 100% sure of WHAT it does, but that's my understanding. Mine has no real pressure on it, more like it's simply hitting a switch somewhere. I use mine around the house/farm so I've always been able to work fine without it. Besides, if I need to put it into a neutral position so I can rev it up and raise the bucket faster, I can simply hit the forward/reverse into neutral, raise things, then go back to gear. I think using the inching clutch would be more work than just clicking with my fingers.

  8. #8jonnyguz2023-04-23 12:34
  9. #9jonnyguz2023-04-23 12:38

    So I figured it out..The fluid was very low...The dipstick said it was fine so I didn't think it was the problem...I drained fluid and saw that it was about a gallon low...Works good now...only issue is the pedal on the left isn't hooked up to anything...Not sure if it's supposed to be hooked into the electrical somehow...I'm not sure how it is supposed to work...

  10. #10Coytee2023-04-25 05:15

    If you need yours as much as I've needed mine (zero) you now have more important things to worry about.... like changing the air inside your tires.

  11. #11Vetech632023-04-25 07:49

    The left pedal is the declutch system. When you depress it when the transmission is in gear it should kick the transmission into neutral until you release it. There should be a push button on the manipulator handle that is tied into the same declutch operation.

  12. #12casey5182023-04-29 22:31

    Agreed. On mine the pedal is actually just a switch that cuts power to the shuttle solenoid. Same as the button on the loader lever. And as others have stated, I never use them.

  13. #13casey5182023-04-29 22:55

    The transmission has a canister filter, but it also has a strainer in the side of the sump, and mine had junk in it.