Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 cat 246

donnie_lloyd ยท 2025-01-06 12:43

Hello, I blew a rod in my skid steer yesterday moving snow. The motor plate says 142600 on engine type but the numbers are wore out. I cannot find any block stamp. I also have a john deere 40390 from an old compressor. Can I swap them? Need some advice and will answer my phone. Thank you

Replies6
  1. #1Nige2025-01-06 12:53

    Do you have a machine Serial Number.? I would imagine the last 8 are 5SZxxxxx. Engine details can be traced from that.

  2. #2donnie_lloyd2025-01-06 12:58

    Excellent idea, the ser is: Cat00246C5SZ04472 this is the body stamp The motor is a Perkins

  3. #3donnie_lloyd2025-01-06 13:11

    Could the 3.0 perkins be replaces by a john deere 4039

  4. #4Nige2025-01-06 13:55

    The engine is a Cat 3034 (built for Cat by Perkins-Shibaura) Serial Number 3NW18296. The Arrangement (Part) Number of the engine is 147-1234. That information may assist you in searching for a replacement engine. Your engine is shown as being a turbocharged version which are less common than the naturally-aspirated models. If that is correct then the other Cat models that used the 3034T are shown below. If you search for "3034" in this forum it will bring up plenty of hits that may also give you ideas. The turbocharged versions especially were not a particularly good engine.

  5. #5Tyler d4c2025-01-06 16:08

    As for the deere engine in it. Maybe you could. But thats a youll have to figure out all how to make that work on your own kinda of situation. I would not try it.

  6. #6Chrisso2025-01-07 02:54

    An oldie but a goodie... HeavyEquipmentForums