Looking to purchase a backhoe and I've found a cat 426c with 1020 hours. Comes with 2 buckets, a ripper, a tramac 300 hammer. Anything I should be careful about with this machine? This is my first piece of heavy equipment and I'll be using around the farm until I'm confident. The owner wants $42000 + $10000 for hammer.
That sounds like a heap of money for a machine 15+ years old. When I see machines like this I assume it probably has more than 1000 hours on it. Who spends $100k on a machine to use it for 1000 hours over 15 years.
Thanks for the input LT-x7. I agree it doesnt add up well. The backhoe does look like new though and the 4 attachments would cost me over 40 k to purchase and ship here. I heard from some very good friends that it's very hard to find used equipment that hasn't been heavily abused. Maybe easier in other areas, but Hawaii is, lets say...different. I've contemplated buying new, but that is quite a lot more $ for a first machine. I just need it for around the farm.
I guess it depends what your options are. A lot of the prices in CA seem unbelievable to midwesterners. That price is high, but not absurd if it is nearly perfect. For that kind of money, take a Cat mechanic to check it out if you don't know somebody that knows equipment inside and out.
Some of the prices in California seem crazy to us living in California too. The nice part is freight from other more reasonable states doesn't cost much, of coarse we don't have any oceans to cross so I would image its a whole different deal in Hawaii. I just purchased a newer backhoe from Texas, the freight was $2,250 which seemed very reasonable to me. I'm sure options on used machines in Hawaii are very limited..... Have you got any quotes on shipping a machine from the states?