Planning on changing fuel filter on 1999 International DT466E. I have not done this before and need to know procedure to prime engine after change. Also, I am only seeing one fuel filter on engine. The parts house thinks there maybe two. Thanks Kenny
I drove a 2000 International snow plow with a 466 and it had a strainer in a small plastic housing on the inlet to the fuel pump on the left side of the motor. I didn't know what it was so never messed with it until the truck quit one day. Acted like a plugged filter but a new one didn't fix it. I found the strainer and it was full of junk. It had plastic threads and was tricky to get back on without cross threading. It was maybe an inch in diameter and 3 inches long and sort of tapered. I can't remember where the actual filter was, it might have been right in front of it. As far as priming I think I just pre filled the filter, I don't think there was a primer pump. There should be a procedure in the owners manual if you have one and are worried about it. I know filling the filter is not recommended but it happens.
You should clean that small pre filter (I call them a rock catcher) screen every time you change the fuel filter, get a cheap 1 1/4 combo wrench and cut off the box end 3" long, makes it easy if the rock catcher is super tight. There should be a small plastic plunger priming pump in the top of the filter head in between the rock catcher and spin on filter, also there is a schrader valve to let the air out. I only pre fill filters as a last resort, when you do, your putting unfiltered fuel or oil in the clean side of the filter... Bad idea!!
Greg is right, it has been several years since I have been around one, I also always try to bleed the filters properly for that reason.
Only one fuel filter on engine. It is turned upside down. I think this setup is made by Ryder according to information I found on the internet. Anyway, changed filter, primed and bled air through Schrader valve, cranked fine.
I never liked the inverted fuel filter set up, seems to make more of a mess than anything! Glad you had no issues! :drinkup
Pic of fuel filter assembly View attachment 154460