Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1999 John Deere 4×4 310SE

drew1977 ยท 2012-10-09 03:31

Found a 1999 John Deere 4x4SE with extendahoe,quick attach, and a Thumb has 4,600 hours. They want $25,000 any advice on the machine and good and bad points about this machine. I plan to use it on a 100A. Farm for general duty build a few roads and clear some trees, and move a lot of cow manure Thanks for any views or input ~Drew1977!!!!!!!

Replies12
  1. #1johnny_waz2012-10-09 06:02

    It looks like a nice machine, I scoped that out yesterday myself . Did you call them and ask if the forks were included for that price? If everything is working corerectly I would say not a bad price. I just recently bought a 2000, 410e, 4x4, non ext. hoe, open cab model deere about 2hrs north of that 1 for $19,500. Just to give you an idea. At that price it had a couple problems that I was able to fix for less than $1000 including buying all the repair manuals off ebay. The orbital sterring valve was the most expensive for me to fix. Part alone was almost $700 ($1200 from deere, yikes!). What a coincidence, cause I too use mine to maintain a 100acre farm. Good luck, post some more pictures of it if you buy it.

  2. #2johnny_waz2012-10-09 07:24

    Just wanted to add, had a mobile mechanic tell me the most frequent mantainance problems with these machines will be seeping O-rings. As I have already found out, these newer machinces have O-rings at "EVERY" hydraulic joint/hose and they do eventually get hard and leak. Just go buy yourself an O-ring assortment and keep it in the shop. When you notice one leaking just swap out with a new one. The Mechanic said these series machines are great. Mine was the seris just before electronic fuel injection which he said was a plus because the early electronic systems were problimatic.

  3. #3JBGASH2012-10-09 07:30

    I have the same machine with a cab. I have had no trouble whatsoever with it, very dependable, always starts and uses very little fuel. IMO it is well worth the money and will hold its value when you decide to get rid of it.

  4. #4locomoconomo2012-10-09 11:14

    I run one every day on my job and I love mine. In fact, I like it much better than the new Hoe, a 2007 310. Strong, not too heavy, like the 410's in my opinion, no offence Johnny waz. I'd love to purchase my hoe from the company when they uprade next go round. Maintenance wise, she's been what I would consider normal, hoses, teeth, cutting edges, tires, etc.... Nothing too alarming.

  5. #5johnny_waz2012-10-09 13:39

    None taken , we all have preferences, I actually like the added weight/Horse Power. I'm already looking at upgrading to a 2004+, 710 model in the next year or so.

  6. #6drew19772012-10-09 14:20

    Johnny, Not sure if this is the same machine it is located down on the stateline near Toledo, Ohio. It also had no forks in the pic's on the listing. What area of the state do you live if I may ask and what type of farming do you do ? Thanks for the info you have given so far. I plan to go look at it later this week. Will keep you updated on it

  7. #7johnny_waz2012-10-09 17:26

    Its the same machine, its in Temperance. I know it didn't show forks in the pictures. That is why I was curious if you had called on it, or gone and looked at it. It looks nice in the pictures. Looks like a gravel pit owner owns it. Family farm is in Dryden, near Imlay City. Its just a hobby farm, logging, vegetable farming, hunting. Right now all the tillable land is leased out since I didn't have time to farm it myself (3 kids, ages 3 and under). I work in the automotive engineering field by trade.

  8. #8Deon2012-10-09 18:40

    Just to mention the o-ring assortment, at least with my older 310D, the o-rings need to be sized correctly for the Deere fittings. A kit from UAP will give you o-rings that are all too fat. I have purchased a bunch from a hydraulic store but I don't know where you would buy a container full of assorted o-rings that would fit. Maybe someone can tell us.

  9. #9johnny_waz2012-10-09 19:04

    http://rocklinhydraulics.com/flat-face-kit.html http://rocklinhydraulics.com/90-d-o-ring-kit.html http://www.qualitypac.com/catalogbyman.asp?man=1 http://www.fpe-ltd.co.uk/products/orings/ http://www.tornadoparts.com/servlet/the-913/AT85197-John-Deere-O-dsh-Ring/Detail http://oringrepairkits.com/ Ebay also has kits.

  10. #10buckfever2012-10-09 19:54

    We have a 97 310 se. Has almost 12,000 hrs and still runs good. Just as mentioned above o-ring and cylinders tend to leak. But we have worked this machine way harder then it was ever intended and she still kept coming back for more.

  11. #11Deon2012-10-09 20:39

    WOW johnny_was. That's just what I asked for. Thanks Deon

  12. #12drew19772012-10-09 20:43

    Yes I called on it today it is down at the local JD dealer which is right down the road from us. Very nice people to work with and they have a lot of machines on the lot. I plan to go look at it within the next couple of days. Will keep you updated