Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1W0568 transfer pump issues

BushMike · 2026-02-11 08:07

I believe the transfer pump went out on my D3B. It lost power over a 5-10 second or so period and then it quit altogether. I have full gravity flow out the tank/pump supply line but nothing out the transfer pump exit. Im blocking a FS road and need to get it started and moved ASAP. am I wasting my time temporarily hooking up an electric pump (7-9psi). I have fittings to adapt my steel lines without cutting. What little I can find online says the this transfer 1W0568 pump should be pressurizing to about 35#.

Replies13
  1. #1Nige2026-02-11 10:21

    There is a bypass valve in the fuel transfer pump that maintains the fuel pressure in the system at 20-40 psi. Is there any chance that valve is allowing fuel past it an so no pressure is building up.? BTW there is a 101-2614 rebuild kit available for the 1W0568 transfer pump.

  2. #2BushMike2026-02-11 15:30

    Nige, Prior to getting your reply, I had called our local CAT dealer(FABICK) and specically asked if a rebuild kit was available….the answer was NO. Well, it obviously is. Thank you for that PN#. A bit ago, I found (2) 101-2614 unopened kits on ebay for $32ea. They are headed my way. Back to my original question, will the 9psi electric pump get the engine started after bleeding? Its 19deg with winds gusting 20+. Im working out of a snowbank. Being that I am offgrid, it is a big deal to charge a battery. I have one fully charged 4D-2 battery. I want to get as far as I can with that battery. I installed the pump without altering the factory steel lines. After Turning on the ignition for several seconds, I had full uninterrupted flow out the fuel filer body at the injection pump input.

  3. #3Nige2026-02-11 17:38

    It might. Never tried it so couldn’t say one way or the other. Let’s face it 9psi is about half the 20psi value that is the lower limit of the relief valve in the transfer pump so it might just be enough to light the fires.

  4. #4BushMike2026-02-11 18:14

    I just need to get it off the road and into my yard. Ill know tomorrow.

  5. #5BushMike2026-02-16 08:52

    With a 45psi electric pump bypassing the transfer pump and bled all the way thru the injection pump bottom line fittings, I can only get ONE injector line to dribble fuel. This after several minutes(total) of bleeding/cranking. Can someone offer advice On posssible causes?

  6. #6BushMike2026-02-16 08:56

    Pulled for 3hrs with a 3t chain hoist and a 3:1 block set-up. At least its off the road now. About 800 cranks on the lever per foot of travel on the dozer.

  7. #7Welder Dave2026-02-19 01:36

    See if there's a long hex fitting where the fuel line connects to the lift pump under the injection pump. If there is, there is a mesh screen inside the hex fitting that gets plugged. You can remove the screen to clean it with a hex wrench. Drove me crazy until I finally realized where the screen was hidden. Engine would idle but die with throttle until it finally wouldn't start back up. There's also some check valves that can malfunction but I don't remember where they're located.

  8. #8BushMike2026-02-19 07:25

    Yes, I checked the screen. It had a small amount of crud in it. Not enough to block flow.

  9. #9Oxbow2026-02-19 11:23

    Slight chance - check the two little dime-size check valves in the primer pump housing and make sure one of them didn't flip. If they look identical one of them flipped. This assumes you have the typical Cat primer pump.

  10. #10Old Magnet2026-02-19 15:46

    More bits of information.... Minimum to start fuel pressure is 5 psi What if any fuel pressure were you getting? Governor has a spring that returns rack to full on for starting when shut down. Any problems with engine oil pressure? Governor servo requires oil pressure to work Transfer pump does not have a relief valve. Pressure is limited when the plunger spring is in balance at required pressure. There is no low oil pressure limit switch in this governor. Any of the three check valves malfunctioning would prevent pressure build up.

  11. #11Welder Dave2026-02-19 17:50

    Those are the check valves I was referring to. I changed them on my machine but didn't need to. The screen was the problem.

  12. #12BushMike2026-02-19 18:58

    Old Magnet, As described above, I bypassed the transfer pump with a 45psi electric pump. With a non calibrated gauge on the fuel filter body tee, I had 50psi. Engine oil pressure was in the green.

  13. #13Oxbow2026-02-19 20:27

    I have had one flip, and know of two others. All were 4MG 3406 B models, but those primer pumps were pretty standard on a lot of Cat stuff. On mine, it took me a minute to figure out which one was upside down, but there was nothing wrong with it. I just flipped it over and all was good.