Hi all, I just bought an older Cat 312 and I want to buy the Cat manuals for it from catpublications.com. Mine is a 7DK grey market model that I've determined maps to the 6GK-1-Up U.S. serial numbers. I see on catpublications.com that there are 2 "Parts" manuals for this serial. One is (I'm guessing) the main Parts manual ( https://catpublications.com/previews/XEBP7201.pdf ) and the other is a Supplement Parts manual ( https://catpublications.com/previews/XEBP7243.pdf ). What parts are generally covered in the Supplement manual? They're both $146 so I want to make sure I need them both before buying. Thanks in advance for any help.
What is your 7DK serial number.? Did you know you can actually get a Parts Manual for it under the reference XJBP7177. This is the original Japanese Parts manual but the illustrations are the same and all the Part Numbers are in "English". Only the part descriptions are in Japanese. Personally I wouldn't spend the money on a paper manual. I'd buy the pdf download and print it. If you want to go ahead buying a 6GK Parts Manual. We've been here before and I have some info somewhere crossing 7DK Serial Numbers to 6GK to determine whether it corresponds to the Serial Number range 6GK1-392 or 6GK393-Up. Unless you have one of the following options installed you don't require the Supplemental Parts Manual. Segmented rubber tracks, rubber belt tracks, pyramid-type track shoes, or clamshell bucket.
Hi Nige, thanks for your reply. Looks like I don't need the supplement manual, and I'll take a look at the Japanese parts manual that you mentioned. I can't read Japanese so I'm assuming I'll still need the english U.S. version of the Operation & Maintenance Manual. My serial # is 7DK05412. Can you confirm that this maps to the 6GK-1-Up?
You won't need that for the Parts Manual. 7DK05412 corresponds to 6GK393-Up. If you buy an English 6GK Parts Manual you need XEBP7427. The English 6GK1-Up Operation & Maintenance Manual is SEBU6724. It's a little confusing. XEBP7201 was the original Parts Manual for machines 6GK1-Up. However when the changes were made from 6GK393-Up it should have been re-titled "6GK1-392" but wasn't, maybe because it was never re-printed after that.
Thanks Nige, your help is very much appreciated! For the benefit of future readers of this thread, looking on catpublications.com I believe the English 6GK Parts Manual that you mean is XEBP7 24 7 (not 7 42 7, which was probably a typo in your post). This manual is dated 1998 and I thought my machine was a 1994. Are you able to confirm my machine's year via the serial? I was also told by the seller that my machine is a 312 B , but on the side of the cab it just says "312" so I was assuming mine is a pre-B model. Does the serial number shed any light on that?
You are correct. Dyslexia on my part. My apologies. Your machine is a 312, not a 312B. If it was a 312B it would be a different S/N prefix, not 7DK. The Parts Manual is dated 1998 because that is the date it was last updated (from -00 to -01) to include new information relevant to the machine S/N range 6GK393-Up. The publishing date of the manual would bear no relation to the date range of machine production. I can't confirm the date of production of your specific Serial Number. 312 7DK production started in 1992 so 5412 could easily be 1994. There is no online information for the Japanese-built 7DK machines. Hopefully someone else might have more detailed information.
Thanks again Nige!
Hi @Nige , today while looking for an engine oil filter for my machine I realized that I gave you the PIN number for my machine and not the serial number. My serial number is 6LK08475. Are you able to cross reference this to tell me if this still corresponds to the 6GK393-Up manuals? Thanks in advance.
6LK08475 is the engine Serial Number. The machine Serial Number (aka PIN) is still 7DK05412. All the info posted above still appplies. BTW as a result of a recent update to Google Translate it now translates photos in addition to text.
6LK is the engine serial number on your 3064 engine.