Today this rig came thru town hauling a propane tank. It had 20 axles on the ground and is 246 ft long without the pusher truck connected. It had 2 state troopers, 2 other escort vehicles, and 2 support trucks along. After having to put stacked planks under the jeep tires to clear the hump where the old railroad tracks were they had a 90 degree corner to negotiate. After unhooking the push truck it took a number of back and forths movements to walk the steerable jeeps on the trailer over enough to squeeze it around the stop light and thru the intersection. After making the corner they hooked the push truck up again.They are moving 8 of these huge propane tanks from Cambridge, MN to Detroit, MI. Why they routed them north 40 miles to go thru Moose Lake and then south again is beyond me. I had a chance to chat with one of the support crew fellows as they stopped for coffee after traversing the corner. As he said "We don't get to pick the route and we got no idea what it costs to move one of these.
I'm kind of curious what it would cost to move them. Would $50.00 per mile be in the ballpark?
I bet 50$ per mile wouldn't touch it. I would guess that making that turn would be anywhere from 1500 to 2000$. I know that sounds ridiculous but how many other people can do that.
It's well over $50 a mile. I never bid that work by the mile anyway as it's only a rough guess what you'll have for miles until you get a route and start your surveys. I did it all by day rates which were created adding up how many men I had on the job, my equipment costs, excessive cargo coverage, civilian escort costs, law enforcement costs, bucket trucks, bonding, structure analysis. Number of days was never a science just an educated guess. I don't know where freight rates are now but back a few years ago when I was doing stuff like that I would have been pushing six figures to move that. There are months of planning involved in move like that. Junkyard
I kinda figured that $50 per mile figure was pretty low but that's the number that popped in my head at the time. Basically, I had no idea what it would cost.