Trailer has 2 axles with 2 tires on each side of each axle for a total of eight tires. I managed to blow both tires on one side of the front axle on my 20 ton trailer. I was loaded with about 35,000 lbs and it was raining. I was not able to pull over and continued with the haul. Oil is now leaking out of the inner wheel hub on the side of the trailer that was across from the damaged tires and wheels. I let the trailer sit over night and found a fair amount of gear oil coming out of the side with the undamaged wheels and tires. Put new tires and wheels on and it is still leaking. I know I have damage, at this point not sure what. I was wondering if anyone else has occurred damage like this. I am wondering if the axle could have bent slightly or if the bearings might be the cause. Anyone here had any damage like this?
What caused the blowouts? Do perhaps have dragging brakes? Are they air or electric?
Almost sounds as if the Aired up side is stressed and side loading, bearing may be loose to failing condition. Pull tires/wheels check for play BEFORE take it apart, if has play figure out the WHY before just reassembling. Have to question the Twin Blowouts, did one fail then the other being hot then also fail or were they just close to due for replace anyway?
Well, just one thing to do now. Pull the hub and check everything. My money is on side stress on the bearings wiping out the seal, but, check the axle for cracks and bends, (not likely). I did see one strip the threads on the spindle once, nut would tighten but would loosen under load without turning, finally figured it out after 3 or 4 seals. Replaced the axle on that one, didn't try to fix it since I had a spare.