I got a 97 eager beaver 20 ton tag trailer with hutch 9700 leaf spring suspension, the back right spring has 2 of the 7 leafs broke so I'm going to replace it. Any advice on what I'm in for as far as fixing it? Should i replace both springs on that axle and can I reuse the ubolts, etc? I haul my 315L on it and thats about as heavy a machine as that trailer wants in my opinion. Wish i bought the 25 ton.
If you can afford it , Buy the U bolts and torch the old ones . That's 2 hrs saved right there . Same miles same roads , At least look at them REAL close
Most shops torch the U bolts.They could be weak.Would you rather replace them now or on the job in the rain and mud.
I thought you had to always replace the u-bolts when you ever took them off. Something about when you properly torque them down they stretch the bolts and bend the threads. Also I would replace both sides. Keep everything wearing equaly.
Yeah Ubolts are supposed to be one time use only. I don't think I would chance it, especially if you feel the trailer is already close to its weight limit with your 315.
thanks for the replies everyone. good advice that I will listen to
A spring shop can make new leaves and u-bolts in no time and have you on your way. I usually leave spring work up to them, as they are quick, have or can make all the parts and are pretty reasonable as to price.