Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

200 lc engine trouble

Wes Jackson ยท 2019-06-21 14:41

The engine started smoking really bad suddenly,I have eliminated the turbo as the problem and removed the exaust manifold and smoke and small droplets of oil are coming from number 3 cylinder. I do not have a compression gauge to check the compression but the engine is not skipping and has very little blow by. When I crack the injector line the engine skips as it should. I have already swapped injectors with the 1 next to it, is there anything in the head that could cause this, valve guide seal maybe?

Replies10
  1. #1heymccall2019-06-21 14:45

    Hours on engine? Color of smoke?

  2. #2Wes Jackson2019-06-21 14:48

    Hours unknown, smoke is blue and number 3 cylinder has fine mist of oil when running

  3. #3John C.2019-06-22 16:38

    Make of the machine and the engine?

  4. #4Wes Jackson2019-06-22 16:44

    It's a John Deere 200lc,engine is 6.8 John Deere

  5. #5John C.2019-06-22 23:00

    Blue smoke indicates a little unburned fuel or engine oil. How many hours on this machine and engine?

  6. #6Wes Jackson2019-06-23 06:27

    I do not know the hours,the smoking started suddenly.

  7. #7thepumpguysc2019-06-23 06:45

    Blue smoke is usually OIL.. it might be the valve guides are worn, allowing oil to seep into the combustion chamber while running.. Some manuf. use valve guide seals that get hard & allow the oil to seep.. while others don't use them at all & rely on the tightness of the guide to control the oil.. I've also known people that put them on even tho the engine doesn't take them..

  8. #8funwithfuel2019-06-23 08:15

    If you have the manifold off, take a strong flashlight and peak into the port. You may see something. If you have one of those cheap Chinese borescopes you could look a little deeper. Do you hear any unusual huffing in the air cleaner housing while running? Have you checked valve lash @ #3 ? Is it tight? Can you establish lash at all? From your description, it sounds like bent/ burnt/ broken valve. Best of luck.

  9. #9Wes Jackson2019-06-30 07:19

    Thanks for the replies, the problem seems to be with the exaust valve guide, going to pull the head this week

  10. #10funwithfuel2019-06-30 09:14

    Bummer, but better than broken parts. A little refreshing on the head and your good again. Good catch.