Here is what I know. Started machine and moved it, went to shut it off and the engine continued to run. Shut it off with the governor. Went to restart and the entire electrical system was dead. Turn key on and no lights on dash or power to anything. Checked the battery voltage. Battery 1 had 12.77 v Battery 2 had 12.67 v . Do not have a load tester and batteries are at least 5years old. The battery terminals do not appear to have any corrosion. Did not have time to pull batteries out, not sure I can get them out with the ripper attached. Battery shutoff appears to be working. Could the Key Switch cause this? Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this type of failure? I have worked on a lot of cars but not on heavy equipment. Dozer is on a remote ranch in Texas at least 100 miles from a Cat dealer so I would like to fix it myself if possible. Thanks, Don
Batteries sound good. There is a main power relay, and maybe it has gone bad, or a wire/cable to or from is open.
Location of Power Relay Do you know the location of the power relay and is it easy to access? My machine has cab and AC.
have you checked your ground? Also check voltage at hot post of starter, Do U hve voltage there? Looks can be deceiving on battery cables and under ground bolts. I would start at these places first to make sure there is a power supply. If you have power then check relays, breakers,and switches. Start at batterys and go to starter,alternator etc, checking for broken wires and corroded connections. If the batteries are 5 years old they should be load tested to make sure you do not have a dead cell in one of them. Hope this helps. Billy
I had the same trouble with a D3C,on the left side of the tractor behind the engine panel,there is a connector close to the firewalli believe there is 3 or 4 10 gauge wires in it ive seen these go bad take it apart and check real close for broken or corroded wires,I usually cut the wires and connector off then splice them with a good butt connector and some dielectric grease.